Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Broken Shift Linkage
Wyominguy - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 11:15:42 pm
Well I got lucky. Driving home yesterday (3 mile trip) when I went to downshift to pass someone and the shifter just went limp and would not move out of gear. I thought it was the short shifter that had come loose again as it had six years ago. I was able to pull into the driveway and garage in 6th gear and proceeded to take the console out but soon discovered that the cable was attached but not moving anything in the back of the car. I then went online and discovered some other posts about this and realized that the cable had broken. Called Sunset Porsche and they are sending out the cables which should be here in three days. It comes as a unit and runs about $325 with shipping.

Anyone here have any advice about swapping this out. It seems pretty straightforward.

Neil

2001 Boxster S
Re: Broken Shift Linkage
CarreraLicious - Friday, 8 June, 2012, at 5:39:50 am
Are you sure the shift linkage/cables are broken back there?... Most of what I read is that the cables pop out from their brackets that hold them in place, and that popping them back in solves the issue. Never heard of a cable severing.
the nylon ball socket had failed and the metal ball popped out. The car required a flat bed trip to the dealer and the tech replaced the stock factory 996 shifter with one from a 997. This was done under the car's CPO warranty so I do not know what this would have cost.

I didn't have the time to drop in and discuss the steps involved in replacing the shifter.

Thus my advice, such as it is, is based on what I've picked up 2nd or even 3rd hand, the shifter linkage adjustment wants to be spot on but how to ensure this I can't say.

Not sure whether the instructions for installing an aftermarket shifter would be of any help.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I did find some references to the cable breaking online. I will look at this closely before opening the new cables when they arrive but it appears that the cable is broken. I can move the shifter bracket at the rear of the car and it will then push the cable forward and move the shift lever in the car, one way only. That leads me to believe that the cable is broken.

Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login