Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
DIY leather accents
headdead - Saturday, 9 June, 2012, at 11:37:39 pm
Pedro's DIY inspired me to cover my Boxster's black door pocket covers, release handle cover and center console in RED leather. It looks frickin fantastic. The red bling sets off the gray interior with black accents. Sorry, no Photobucket account to post pics.
I followed somebody's suggestion on another board and covered the door pocket covers in 4mm foam I picked up at Michaels (craft store) for less than a buck. The leather came from eBay - $29/12 sq ft + $10 delivery Bright red lambskin. I ended up using about 2/3 of the hide, but I was not trying to conserve.
One issue: I used Weldwood Contact Cement (the red can, new GEL formula, NOT the safer, non-volatile stuff) on all pieces. The door pocket covers reacted to the contact cement - the finish bubbled up like paint reacting to paint remover. Giant pain. I ended up stripping the pocket covers and reapplying the contact cement. Neither the release handle covers nor the center console reacted. Next time I might try the non-volatile formula.
One suggestion: I did not have a reaming bit to enlarge the key hole in the console, so I wrapped a socket with 100 grit sandpaper. I hand sanded the hole, using progressively larger sockets until I had the right clearance for the leather wrapped hole. Worked very well.
Next I may cover the grab handles and the shift boot cover..
Thanks Pedro for the great DIY.
Original:

Personalized:

That's what it's all about ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 10 June, 2012, at 8:15:23 am
... making your car your own.
I love hacks!
Great job. Happy my DIY guides are inspiring.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Wow looks great! *NM*
DougW - Monday, 11 June, 2012, at 9:34:56 am
Looks like it turned out great for you, congrats!
Kimo - Sunday, 10 June, 2012, at 12:53:28 am
I have all the material to do my pockets as well; I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. You just inspired me, so I'll definitely go at it this month.

Thanks for the photos...quite a contrast, but the most important part is that you're happy with it. Good job...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login