Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Boxster v Z4 v SLK: Review in Automobile
jwdbox - Thursday, 21 June, 2012, at 4:53:49 pm
I apologise in advance if this was already posted and I missed it. The August issue of Automobile just arrived with a nice review of the 2012 Boxster S versus the Mercedes SLK55 AMG versus BMW Z4 sDrive35is. No surprise but they ended the article by saying "So the Boxster wins. After one exciting week and more than 600 fast miles, it not only beat its two sparring partners, it also comes unashamedly close to the 911." Additional tidbits include comments like "best (non-carbon-ceramic) brakes, most attentive steering, lease compromising ride, seamless performer, absolutely focused yet very relaxed."cool smiley
Re: Boxster v Z4 v SLK: Review in Automobile
Roger987 - Thursday, 21 June, 2012, at 6:39:16 pm
Thanks. Hadn't seen it.

Sounds as though unless a backseat is a necessity, the Boxster is the one.
jwdbox - Thursday, 21 June, 2012, at 6:44:43 pm
Roger987
Thanks. Hadn't seen it.

Backseat? winking smiley Isn't that why many of us have another car cool smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 21 June, 2012, at 7:35:21 pm
Roger987
Thanks. Hadn't seen it.

I would not want to be in the back seat of either the Z4 or the SLK. winking smiley
Roger987 - Thursday, 21 June, 2012, at 7:45:08 pm
Smart*ass. winking smiley I meant vis-a-vis the 911.

"...it also comes unashamedly close to the 911"

I suppose I could have explained that more carefully, for the short-bus riders... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The Z4 and Merc are no longer in the same league. (I'm not sure the Merc ever was.)
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 21 June, 2012, at 9:51:09 pm
Roger987

"...it also comes unashamedly close to the 911"

If Porsche evened out the engines in the two cars, that would have to be restated as:

The 911 comes (unashamedly) close to the 981.

Let's face it, Ferry Porsche got it right on the first try with the 356 - 001. They only changed the design in subsequent cars to make room for suitcases behind the seats.
Davzin - Sunday, 24 June, 2012, at 8:42:02 pm
At 500+ lbs extra weight than the 981-S, the Z4 & SLK were clearly boxing outside their weight class...even with the extra hp they're not in the same division. It was mentioned they should more likely be put in the GT class of cars...with folding metal roofs I'd agree.
Re: Backseat? We Don't Need No Steeking Backseat!
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Thursday, 21 June, 2012, at 9:20:59 pm

Backseat? winking smiley Isn't that why many of us have another car cool smiley

That's why I bought a Boxster. "Sorry, kids. No room for you in the car". the finger smiley

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Re: Backseat? We Don't Need No Steeking Backseat!
db997S - Friday, 22 June, 2012, at 8:42:18 am
After two Boxsters went with the 911 Cab so the wife can store all her roadtrip junk in the back seat. Just think of all those Titanic movies with the women and their scores of steamer trunks. That's the way my wife travels for a weekend get away and she likes to have access while on the road. Me, an overnight bag, ball cap, sunglasses and I-pod and I'm ready to travel.

Aqua Blue is a great color. That's what mine is, too. Well, at least when it's clean.
the BMW and M-B and the Boxster and the Boxster won. I hate to admit it but I've read enough of these over the years I do not read them in depth anymore. I know the outcome, the decision. The article ends with the writers saying in so many words the Boxster is one of the greatest cars, ever. The rest of the article is just filler to keep the pics from bumping against each other. If the Boxster and Cayman were outfitted with the same engine as the 911...wow!

Sincerely,

MarcW.
MarcW
the BMW and M-B and the Boxster and the Boxster won. I hate to admit it but I've read enough of these over the years I do not read them in depth anymore. I know the outcome, the decision. The article ends with the writers saying in so many words the Boxster is one of the greatest cars, ever. The rest of the article is just filler to keep the pics from bumping against each other. If the Boxster and Cayman were outfitted with the same engine as the 911...wow!

Oh, I agree that Porsche always wins any kind of comparo, but the Z4 and SLK consistently outsell the Cayman/Boxster. I think that's because what the journalists are testing for isn't what people are buying for. I suspect that people who buy Z4s and SLKs probably don't care how fast they accelerate or how well they handle on a track, and they probably never drive 85 mph on a curvy road. The Porsche is an enthusiast vehicle whereas the Z4s and SLKs are "boulevard cruisers" in that they are more luxurious and probably quieter as well. I suspect the enthusiast market is a lot smaller than the "boulevard cruiser" market. By analogy -- for every sportbike out there, you see 5 cruisers.

The Z4 and SLK are also considerably cheaper, apples to apples. They start off the same, but BMW and Merc also don't nickel and dime by making you pay extra for every single feature; for example, a fully, fully loaded SLK tops out at about $65K but an equivalent Cayman/Boxster can easily top $80K (or MORE).

But a lower price and a comfortable ride to the local mall are not what automotive journalists are looking for. Hence Porsche wins the comparo test but BMW and Merc win the sales race.
Good point. I tend to overlook the general market...
MarcW - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 10:46:25 am
but you are right in pointing out both the BMW and Merc do very well regardless of where they finish in the 3 car shoot out with the Boxster.

I like the looks of all 3 cars, the Merc especially. The Merc with a V6 (or maybe even a V8 if this engine is still an option) really tempts me (the Z4 much less so) if I was ever going to stray from Porsche but the comments about the Merc's handling turn me off. I have never driven one though and it may not be that noticable to me cause I never track the car and my twisty driving gets more sedate the older I get.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Re: Good point. I tend to overlook the general market...
Laz - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 10:52:48 am
I'd bet lots of people who buy BMWs (even the sports cars) and especially Mercedes don't read car magazines, and just "know," through hearsay and other cultural influences that these are the cars to get. Porsches probably come off as being too idiosyncratic, or something like that. Staying with the herd is socially safe.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
There's also accessibility
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, at 12:33:22 pm
There are more Mercedes and BMW dealers, so easier for people to purchase new cars and get service.

We have both a Mercedes, Audi and BMW dealer here, but the closest Porsche dealer is 60 miles away. So if you want a sports car, a lot of people would just say, I'll get one that I can buy here in town. ....then you get the picky ones who just have to have THE sports car who are willing to go the extra distance. cool smiley
Re: There's also accessibility
Laz - Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, at 12:52:50 pm
True. There's a Mercedes dealer maybe 4 miles from my house, and a BMW about 5 or so. But... There Is No Substitute.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
I agree.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, at 3:31:28 pm
Although I might have considered a Lotus Evora S - but Lotus dealers are few and far between. Even given that, I might have considered the Lotus except for additional concerns about build quality and practicality as a daily driver. Great performing car - but I don't think I could live with it on a long term basis. Considering the total package. there is no substitute for a Porsche.

Cheers!

mike

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login