Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
NBC--Rotary motor officially dead
MikenOH - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 10:43:38 am
[www.foxnews.com]

My wife had 3 of these-- 2 RX-7's and 1 RX-8; the RX-7's were fun to drive and very reliable.
The RX-8 was a great idea that had major quality control problems, besides an engine that sucked up gas & oil, besides being down on TQ and power.
Having said that, I thought the RX-8 was a great platform; always wondered how it might have been had they decided to put the Mazda Speed 4 cyl. turbo in it.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Way back when
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 2:37:23 pm
I talkd my father into investing in Toyo Kogo, the then corporate parent of Mazda, thinking the Wankel was the next coming. Obviously I was wrong. Wrong before...AMC.
My Dad ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 2:59:57 pm
... was a BIG fan of the rotary engine.
In the late 50s he worked with Felix Wankel in the development of several new technologies that eventually were applied to modern rotary engines.
His enthusiasm for the wankel engine was for aeronautical use though, not automotive.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Mazda brought into the US - an RX-2 (I think there was a R100 but not sure if it ever made it to the States).

Can't remember why I bought it, perhaps the fact it was different and I bought the hype about it being the future of car engines, or I liked the way the Coupe looked in silver eye rolling smiley

The engine ran so quietly they had a buzzer that went off when you were reaching the max rpm so you wouldn't blow the engine. Its biggest problem - it handled for s!!t. It never met a curve it liked - it over-steered like no car I've ever seen! Perhaps due to the weight distribution with the engine being so small/light. I lost it coming around a small curve in the rain (and no I wasn't going too fast) - did a 360 degree turn & I wound up in the opposite lane of traffic before I could straighten it out!!!

All in all it wasn't my best decision in terms of a car purchase. I'm pretty sure they fixed the handling problems in later models.

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login