Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Went to launch party last night!
Jim 'n' SC - Sunday, 1 July, 2012, at 7:33:01 am
Went to Porsche Greenville SC launch party last night. They had a Grey Boxster and a Black S (sold to lucky guy in Charlotte) on display. The cars look better in person than in pictures. The lines of the new Box looked better on the lighter gray car than the black one. Both had PDK. The only thing I didn't like were the side mirrors...not a major problem , but they could have made them a little nicer. The Boxster had 19" wheels with Goodyears and the S had 20'' with Perellis. Glad I got the 19" as they look just right on the car to me. Another nice improvement over the 987 & my current 997 is the solid "thunk" when you shut the doors. It now sounds like a quality car should sound. Got an update from my dealer and he said my car will be built next week with an expected delivery around the first week in August. After seeing the car last night it's going to be a long 30+ days till I get my hands on it.
That's wonderful! *NM*
Laz - Sunday, 1 July, 2012, at 9:23:40 am
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: Went to launch party last night!
Mark from SC - Sunday, 1 July, 2012, at 3:52:48 pm
I was there last night as well - very nice cars. The only thing I didn't really care for on the car was the way the top is when opened. There are big 'gaps' on each side. Just doesn't look 'fit and finished', IMHO. Overall, a great upgrade though. I saw an all blacked-out 2012 S in the parking lot, with the same price tag as the Black S inside. Didn't compare options, but something tells me they will deal on that one! smiling smiley Got me thinking....
jwdbox - Sunday, 1 July, 2012, at 7:54:23 pm
Mark from SC
I was there last night as well - very nice cars. The only thing I didn't really care for on the car was the way the top is when opened. There are big 'gaps' on each side. Just doesn't look 'fit and finished', IMHO. Overall, a great upgrade though. I saw an all blacked-out 2012 S in the parking lot, with the same price tag as the Black S inside. Didn't compare options, but something tells me they will deal on that one! smiling smiley Got me thinking....

I agree with you Mark, I thought the area between the top and body seemed strangely open, potentially letting 'junk' drop in and just did not match the rest of the gorgeous fit and finish. Here is a shot of it (note: eye popping smiley that is not damage to the paint but rather a reflection from one of the lights) cool smiley
John B in SC - Monday, 2 July, 2012, at 5:21:25 pm
Hey - I was there too!! Dang that's a mean looking black Boxster S you've got there Mark!!

I also agree the "void" with the folded top just looks unfinished. I had noticed it on the cars we saw at BRBS and thought it was maybe just an oversight on some pre-production tour cars.

Otherwise, fit and finish on the 2 cars at the reveal party looked very good. Loved the Agate color. Loved seeing Miss SC again!

See my other pastime at www.gothamcityracing.net
Mark from SC - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 8:10:09 pm
John B in SC
Hey - I was there too!! Dang that's a mean looking black Boxster S you've got there Mark!!

Loved seeing Miss SC again!

Well, they told me the detail guys were going to 'wipe it down' before the event, so I didn't get out the old 'speed shine' on it. Oh well. Your car cleaned up AMAZINGLY well. If you hadn't kept your 'racing numbers' on it, I wouldn't have recognized it!

Always good to see Miss SC! Should have gotten her to take a picture in my car - oh well!
Can this be for real?
Laz - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 10:18:09 pm
[www.people.com]

I agree, the gap is odd... but the car overall: wow! *NM*
Laz - Monday, 2 July, 2012, at 10:25:39 pm
Mark from SC - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 8:07:27 pm
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about - I didn't take a picture, but the rest of the car looked great - just thought the top, in the open position, looked 'undone'. Other than that, I thought it was nice.
but I got a chance to see two new Boxsters at the dealer today. One was marked sold. Seal grey with a very unusual interior in a light color that looked like "cream". I kind of liked it but wonder how it will hold up over time.

The other car was an S and it had 20" wheels. I did not look at the tire brand.

The car looks very very nice in the pics and even better in the tin.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 10:14PM by Laz. (view changes)
that I can't for the life of me remember the name but I it has a color similar to cream. I can't find a link on the web I think it is a special order interior color. Next time I get a chance if the car's still around and the dealer says it is ok I'll snap some pics.

In defense of my lousy (well, lousier than usual...) memory is since 6/23 I've been living on 2 hours of sleep a night and 2 cups of coffee a day for the dealing with family issues: moving aging parents half way across the country to be nearer to me; a very very sick sister who has been in the hospital since late Jan. and doesn't look like she'll get out until sometime in Sept.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Went to launch party in Phoenix
kmmcdonald - Monday, 2 July, 2012, at 7:16:20 pm
"Party" is right. It was a pretty hoity-toity affair. Showed up at the 6pm, learned that the tarps covering the cars were to be removed from the cars at 7pm. We had hoped for a seated education about the development and features of the car, but the affair was instead a party. We weren't inclined to stand about for an hour, so we left after a few minutes.

Stopped back at the dealer today (Monday) to see the cars. They look big, (more) expensive, and complicated. The interior is full of straight lines where there used to be curves. The body contours contain several creases, or emerging lines, where it used to be rounded.

I'm sure that the additional power and torque are great, but I am suspicious about the electronic steering (which I did not learn about at the "party," but from subsequent internet research).

As a footnote, our two Boxster S' have been serviced at the dealer for their entire lives, and the dealer service is excellent.

Keith
Porsche must've gotten an offer from Luca Brasi they couldn't refuse: they made a "masculine" car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 10:24PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login