Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Windshield Replacement
John Appling - Wednesday, 21 March, 2012, at 6:40:25 pm
Trying to get a tired and chipped windshield replaced on a 2000 Boxster S (Arctic Silver).
First glass technician says he needs to remove the fenders to do the job. This statement bothers me because if I remember correctly from cleaning the radiators, the front has to come off to access the fender bolts. Can anyone confirm or deny if fender removal is necessary for replacing the windshield?
Is an aftermarket windshield acceptable or must one use OEM? I am hearing mixed messages on this.
Finally, the exterior rubber and plastic molding could stand to be replaced at the same time. The parts diagram from Auto Atlanta shows a number of different part numbers. Any help navigating to the right item is appreciated.

2 986 541 521 01 sealing frame 1
F >>98XS6 20224
(2) 996 541 531 01 sealing frame 1
it is necessary to rework
F 98XS6 20225>>
(2) 996 541 531 01 sealing frame 00 1 M 008

3 986 541 541 01 trim frame -00 1
F 98XS6 20225>>
3 986 541 541 03 trim frame 01 1
(3) 986 541 541 00 trim frame -00 1 M 008
9A4 titanium metallic
(3) 986 541 541 02 trim frame 01 1 M 008
9A4 titanium metallic

Many thanks,
John Appling
Re: Windshield Replacement
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Wednesday, 21 March, 2012, at 7:11:13 pm
Based on my experience with 2 Boxsters ( a base and a S) there is no reason to remove any fenders to replace the windshield. I had the windshield replaced on my '02S last fall and watched the tech do the work. You do have to replace the Titanium molding on the S. Not sure about the rubber molding. My understanding is that the only glass available is OEM; I wouldn't have any other kind installed even if there was something else. I try to keep the car a close to what I took delivery as I can -- at least externallywinking smiley

Can't find any part numbers on the invoice I have -- the job was done via insurance. Since I have full coverage on the glass the cost was $0 at the time of installation; I just paid for it ahead of timesad smiley I used a local installer here in Montrose since I don't have a dealer closer than 300 miles.
The rubber molding should be changed:
Laz - Wednesday, 21 March, 2012, at 7:37:17 pm
it gets beat up on removal, and stuck-on old adhesive will make applying the new adhesive and reinstalling problematic. Overall, consider the last thing you want is a water leak. I had the windshield on my old Boxster changed on my dime because it had gotten sandblasted over the years. I'd think the dealer would've told me if they had to remove fenders, if only to justify the labor cost.
a Safelite installer (Safelite was the company my car insurance contracted with for insurance covered glass replacement) and I watched part of the removal and installation and no fenders came off.

In fact, every time I looked the tech -- he was doing the job at my work -- he had one hand holding a cell phone to his ear and the other he was using to work on my car.

OEM glass was all that was available then. I do not know if this is still the case. I would be leery of imitation Porsche glass unless some people have had it installed and can vouch for it.

The rubber gasket gets damaged in the removal of the old glass and even if it doesn't it should be replaced.

I do not know about anything else needed replacement. It depends upon the condition of the various pieces.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Mark - do you mean OEM or OE? *NM*
Roger987 - Thursday, 22 March, 2012, at 3:19:23 pm
We looked at all the glass lettering, serial/part numbers, logos, radio antenna line size/location, tint, size, edge finish, even the location where the rear view mirror was to be attached and except for a slight difference in the location of where the mirror attached (around 1/4" difference which both of us agreed was not significant) neither of us spotted any other differences between the original glass and the replacement glass. I might add after the new windshield was installed I could in no way tell the difference between the new one and the old one other than of course the new windshield had zero pits and no fullcrack just about at eye height running from edge to edge.

Anyhow, I guess I meant OE (original equipment).

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I recently ordered 986 541 521 01
Charlie (Sacramento CA) - Saturday, 24 March, 2012, at 11:37:08 am
This is to prepare for replacing my windshield on my '04 S. I am expecting this part to be the regular black rubber version rather than the S version with the silly gray trim that discolors so quickly. I'll give an update when I get the part in...
Re: I recently ordered 986 541 521 01
Charlie (Sacramento CA) - Monday, 26 March, 2012, at 10:08:55 pm
OK, so this 986 541 521 01 looks like the right part. Seems the right length, all black rubber, what I was expecting.

I have some desire now to replace the bottom strip, although it is in pretty good shape.
Re: I recently ordered 986 541 521 01
Rob in KC - Tuesday, 14 August, 2012, at 8:17:21 am
So is it possible to just replace this trim piece? I have an S and it is suffereing from the discolored silver windshield trim. I'm hoping that it is possible to easily replace that piece.

Thanks.

- Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login