Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Fun site for engine construction tech types:
Laz - Monday, 20 August, 2012, at 5:37:33 pm
Particularly Part 5:
[www.hartech.org]

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 05:38PM by Laz. (view changes)
The section I find most interesting
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 20 August, 2012, at 9:17:40 pm
is this one as it outlines a type of "insurance" that isn't really available on this side of the pond. For a monthly fee, everything is covered. I think dealers over there offer something similar.

They also offer a different IMS solution from Caspar's, Pelican's or LN's.
It is interesting that a company can offer, seeks to offer...
MarcW - Tuesday, 21 August, 2012, at 1:34:40 pm
insurance at this level of coverage for these problematic vehicles.

The UK boards the few I participate in have grown into places where owners gather to get their daily sermon of how bad their cars are how poorly designed they how Porsche apparently hasn't a grasp of even the most basic engine design that every other car maker apparently has and so on. These vehicles are so bad and yet for a small monthly fee we'll cover anything that goes wrong.

Frankly this calls into question all the 'papers' this company and others like it submit on the fragility of these cars, their engines.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
There is a problem, yet companies withhold information.

By being resolutely closed-mouthed, Porsche makes the problem worse. It becomes a conspiracy, and without data to disprove dire claims. Now, do profiteers, even those with solid solutions, jump on the bandwagon? Of course.

Most companies either invent needs or amplify them. It may be suspect, but its to be expected. I agree.

I actually find the M96 motors to be very robust, aside from the two significant issues i know:

IMS ( a bit mysterious, but clearly an issue)
Oiling under heavy side loads - which is ONLY a problem in the context of track use on slicks - hardly a design flaw, although again suspect since that's what Porsche markets these cars as capable of.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
There is a problem, yet companies withhold information.

By being resolutely closed-mouthed, Porsche makes the problem worse. It becomes a conspiracy, and without data to disprove dire claims. Now, do profiteers, even those with solid solutions, jump on the bandwagon? Of course.

Most companies either invent needs or amplify them. It may be suspect, but its to be expected. I agree.

I actually find the M96 motors to be very robust, aside from the two significant issues i know:

IMS ( a bit mysterious, but clearly an issue)
Oiling under heavy side loads - which is ONLY a problem in the context of track use on slicks - hardly a design flaw, although again suspect since that's what Porsche markets these cars as capable of.

Grant

shouts out from its company headquarter roof top "Omg we have a horrible engine reliability problem", assuming even if there is one.

IOWs, no company releases the details of its warranty claims. This info is a business secret and rightly so. The only conspiracy is to keep this a secret as does every other automaker.

That some warranty companies -- apparently without the benefit of having a peek at Porsche's numbers regarding engine reliability -- are willing to issue insurance coverage for these cars and at reasonable price levels -- based on the fact there are owners willing to buy this coverage -- suggests very strongly to me there's really nothing bad for Porsche to shout about.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
As Audi did on 4.2L catalytic converters, as BMW did on some M3 motors, as Audi did on 4-cyl turbos that experienced lubrication/sludge issues. They made the conspiracy theorists quiet down. Now, maybe they were facing some lawsuit that they avoided via this, but i don't know that.

You dont shout from the rooftops, you simply reassure your customers with "should this very unlikely thing happen within, say 8 years....", blah blah.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
They know what the stats are
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 22 August, 2012, at 4:15:11 pm
and the fact that the price is what it is may well confirm the suspicion that the problems we hear about are the minority some have long supposed. Not that they don't occur and are really expensive to those unlucky enough to be at that point on the reliability bell curve.

That they continue to offer this type of insurance must say they are making money off the scheme.

Because profit is not a dirty word and it is only with the expectation that profits will result that solutions are attempted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login