Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
1st Week/500 mile 981 driving impressions:
Jim 'n' SC - Sunday, 26 August, 2012, at 6:33:42 pm
First off, this is the best driving Porsche I have every owned including my previous 997 and my 99 & 03 Boxster’s.

I won’t talk about the styling as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think most would agree the new 981 is drop dead gorgeous.

Engine: This is my first direct injection car. The engine delivers the power seamlessly without any fuss, which is what I want. Can’t wait till it’s broken in as it’s seems it really starts to sound good above the 4,200 rpm limit. Gone is the annoying vario cam surge that my 997 had at 3,200 RPM.

Transmission: I got the 6 speed manual. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of the car!!! If you are a manual transmission guy as I am your going to fall in love with this manual. Much improved over the 6 speed in the 997, which was nice, but sometimes was hard to get into first. It also was cold natured and worked better after the car warmed up. Not so with the 981, it shifts smoothly hot or cold. I drove a new 991 before buying the Boxster and loved the 7 speed manual . The Boxster is the same transmission less one gear.

Exhaust: Best sounding standard exhaust on any Porsche I have owned. I went back and forth on whether to get the PSE, but now I’m glad I didn’t as the stock exhaust is very good.

Suspension: Again, this is a matter of opinion because some people want the firmest suspension they can get their hands on…I don’t. The ride is very good even on bad roads and we have a lot of them. I like the ride and the new electric steering a lot. It is a car that you can drive on long trips and not get beat up. I got the power steering plus and like it. Didn’t drive one without it so I don’t know if it’s really necessary.

Creature Comforts: There are a lot of these and won’t mention them except to say it is very well optioned as a standard car and I didn’t opt for many extras except heated and ventilated seats. The ventilated seats are great and I highly recommend them unless you live in Green Bay.

Now for the things I don’t like. This is a short list as the car is almost perfect.

Wind Noise: With the top up and the drivers side window down you get some wind buffeting above 40 mph. Not a big deal, but it could be better.

Wind Screen: Don’t like the new mesh. I am driving without it as I can’t really tell that much difference.

Trunks: Both my previous Boxster’s had bigger trunks. Had no trouble getting a small golf bag in the rear. I don’t understand how the car is getting bigger, but the trunks are getting smaller? I also want a real spare tire in the front like I had on my previous two Boxster’s.

Hope this helps, I’m sure others will have comments and opinions as more 981’s are on the road. If you are thinking about getting one, do it, you will not be disappointed.

Happy Boxstering,

Jim
Thanks for the report. Regarding the trunks...
Boxsterra - Sunday, 26 August, 2012, at 8:46:11 pm
...the shape of the trunks has changed to accommodate their having moved the wheels closer to the corners of the cars. Overall the trunks are actually bigger but I see how the shape could be less desirable.
Re: 1st Week/500 mile 981 driving impressions:
Laz - Sunday, 26 August, 2012, at 8:57:06 pm
I agree with you on all counts other than I can't comment on Power Steering Plus. Yes, there is a beat-tone at maybe 40 mph or so when only one window is open. Having both open seems to cancel a lot of it out. Just last week I started driving on Interstates without the windstop, and I don't think there's more buffeting. The view out the back is clearer, too, without that mesh. Having the windows down, too, is tolerable. I need to borrow my 986 to compare. The base 986 seemed to actually increase its rate of acceleration with higher speeds, but the 981 (S in my case) is exhilerating. Pulling away from 15 mph toll booths in 3rd gear and flooring it gets me to an indicated 80 in two eye blinks.
One other observation: the rearview mirror seems to have much more residual reflection from the night setting. I see the clouds in the sky and tree tops a lot more than I recall with the 986.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 08:59PM by Laz. (view changes)
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Sunday, 26 August, 2012, at 10:29:51 pm
Having seen it, I can tell you Jim's platinum silver with platinum grey interior is gorgeous! I liked the platinum silver a lot more than I thought I would. I think I may like it better than arctic silver.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Jim 'n' SC - Monday, 27 August, 2012, at 5:41:41 am
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
Having seen it, I can tell you Jim's platinum silver with platinum grey interior is gorgeous! I liked the platinum silver a lot more than I thought I would. I think I may like it better than arctic silver.

Thanks Mike. It was great to meet you and CURVNR8 in Greenville last Saturday at the Car Rally. There were a lot a great cars! Really liked your color combinations on your car too! It's a beauty.
Thanks for the review.
grant - Monday, 27 August, 2012, at 8:34:05 am
Sounds great. Enjoy it.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login