Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Driver Door Window not staying down when door open
Wyominguy - Sunday, 26 August, 2012, at 5:42:10 pm
All,

I know this is not a new problem for many but I have not found any posts here or other places that describe exactly my problem that just began on my 2001 Boxster S. The drivers door window works great except now it when opening the door it does not stay down after releasing the handle. This happens with both the inside and outside handle. So the result is not being able to close the door without lifting the handle enough to drop the window.

I have read many posts from others about fixing these problems and am not sure it is something I want to tackle even though I have successfully replaced brakes, replaced the broken shift linkage, plugs, etc.

Any thoughts?

Neil
Re: Driver Door Window not staying down when door open
Bobtesa - Monday, 27 August, 2012, at 7:47:57 am
This may not help, but if memory serves me, there is a way to "reset" the window operation. Try raising and lowering the windows completely once or twice. I never had this problem in my 99, but years ago I think folks with window raising/lowering problems fixed it with this methods.
... most likely you'll need to replace the window control unit.
For your car, the part number is: 8N1 837 015 C
It's relatively simple to do if you're comfortable removing the door panels.
The most difficult part is getting the outsider door latch mechanical connections to the new unit.
There's the mechanical lock shaft and the latch pull.
You'll also need a triple square tool to remove and reinstall the new unit.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
My Boxster driver's side door window did this...
MarcW - Monday, 27 August, 2012, at 4:28:00 pm
some months back.

Briefly the tech showed me that when one pulls up on the door handle (inside or outside) the window should drop. If the handle is released without opening the door the window should raise.

If the door is then opened the door latch switch prevents the window from going up until the door is closed and the door latch switch closed.

The source of the symptom was a bad (worn out) door handle switch. I forget the part # -- I have it in my records if you want it -- but really you should get the part # based on your car's VIN. The part # for my 02 Boxster may not be the same as for your Boxster S.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: My Boxster driver's side door window did this...
Wyominguy - Monday, 27 August, 2012, at 10:28:35 pm
Marc,

I assume you had the tech replace the switch for you or did you do it yourself? What is an estimate of what the cost to replace this part?

Thank you,

Neil
I do not recall the cost of the repair. Maybe an hour's labor (at $150/hour) and a similar amount for the part.

I'm terrible at removing door panels and have no place to work on the car so I can take my time so I let the dealer take care of these problems. The techs can take off a door panel -- watched one do this on another car in around 10 minutes -- and put it back pretty quick but that's with an unmolested panel. If some inexperienced person has been at the thing this can complicate the job.

Anyhow, if you want the price of the part and labor I can look through the invoices for this info or perhaps contact the dealer service manager for this info. Send me a PM if you want the info.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login