Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I can usually open the window and close the window using onetouch it but it is never consistent nor does it ever stop in the same spot.

View My Video

Is this an easy fix like replace a fuse or is this much more complicated?

Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2012 03:16PM by atwnsw. (view changes)
... because if you did, you need to reprogram the window's limits.
To reprogram close the window completely by keeping pressure on the switch.
When the window reaches its upper limit release the switch momentarily and depress again.
Lower the glass completely.
When it reaches its lower limit release the switch momentarily and depress again.
Repeat both steps again.

Is this happening just on the driver's side or both?
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
There can be other explanations. The door seal can leak and let the door fill up with water. This creates electrical like gremlins involving the door lock and window behavior. Shake the doors listening for any sloshing water sounds.

While you're in the mood check the carpets and under the seats for dampness. This includes the carpets under/along the door bottoms. Body water drains can be blocked.

Does the window always drop when you open the door? Does the window go up or down smoothly, with no changes in speed? Does it close or open without any noise, clicks? If not the regulator may be bad.
Thanks for your input. Here is what I found out after testing your suggestions:

The problem is only with the passenger side window.

I attempted to reset the passenger window per Pedro's instructions but still not change.

The carpet is dry and I don't see signs of moisture.

Both windows do drop when the car door is opened.

HHHHmmmmmm... ???
atwnsw
Thanks for your input. Here is what I found out after testing your suggestions:

The problem is only with the passenger side window.

I attempted to reset the passenger window per Pedro's instructions but still not change.

The carpet is dry and I don't see signs of moisture.

Both windows do drop when the car door is opened.

HHHHmmmmmm... ???

if once the door is open and the window goes up those are signs of a bad electrical switch. IIRC there's one for the handle and one at the door latch.

If the window doesn't drop fast enough/far enough when the door is opened, or if the window's raising or lowering is inconsistent, erratic, noisy, or in anyway not as it should be that's a window regulator problem. The regulator is the name given to the hardware/assembly that is responsible for physically moving the window.

How hard or easy is this to fix? Well, first you have to get the door innards exposed.

Then you have to be able to visually identify the source of the symptom. Since my WAG is it is the regulator you probably have an easy time of it. I've had both regulators replaced (along with some other hardware in the doors) in my 02 Boxster but I have not done this myself. But the tech told me that in both cases the regulator was just worn out. In fact on the passenger side it fell apart as he was removing it. So if it is the regulator you probably can tell easy. Maybe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login