Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I presumed they would. My rear trunk will not open.

Since this car just made it to my garage yesterday, with a dying battery, i'm never sure if everything is working.....

TIA

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
At that voltage...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 2:25:44 pm
... there may not be enough juice for the solenoid to kick in and open the latch.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
And if cable, does the cable operate mechanically on the latch, or on the release solenoid?
Grant

Grant

The ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 2:36:36 pm
... older cars with levers are cable operated.
The cable is mechanically attached directly to the latch release.
Newer Boxsters and Carreras have an electronic switch instead of a lever which actuates the same solenoid that the remote control activates to open the lid.
All of them also have an emergency (mechanical) cable release hidden under the bumper skin.
So, the newer cars have redundancy, the older cars have double-redundancy.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

So i'm still a bit confused
grant - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 3:00:08 pm
1. My rear trunk opens either with the inside lever or (get this) with the key. So it must be partly electric
2. The lever did not work with the 10.5V battery
3. The lever did not work with my good car connected via jumpers
4. The key did work with the jumpers

When i released the front hood last night i thought i heard the normal solenoid-slide sound.

So are they BOTH mechanical and electrical?

Grant

Grant

Based on what you posted...
MarcW - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 5:04:12 pm
grant
1. My rear trunk opens either with the inside lever or (get this) with the key. So it must be partly electric

When i released the front hood last night i thought i heard the normal solenoid-slide sound.

Grant

and so I understand it correctly, let me state it again: The lever does not work with good electric power, yet the key worked with good electric power.

This strongly points to the lever as being mechanical while the key works with an electrical solenoid (ultimately controlled by a signal from the car's security module). Or possibly the lever controls an electrical switch that then works the latch electrically.

In both cases, then, the behavior of the lever suggests there is a mechanical problem with the lever. Either the mechanical connection to the latch is faulty or the mechanical connection to the switch that activates the solenoid is faulty.

Your car is a bit different from mine. In my 02 the trunk lids can be opened via a key module button or by a small switch on the sill next to the driver's seat. There is AFAIK no mechanical connection between these switches -- the swtiches are too small and have too light a feel to have any substantial mechanical features -- and the latches they operate. There is a small back up cable located under each bumper that works mechanically to unlatch the trunk.
Play-by-play
grant - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 5:59:13 pm
MarcW
grant

Grant

and so I understand it correctly, let me state it again: The lever does not work with good electric power, yet the key worked with good electric power.

Grant --> Yes, although i now wonder if in the interim the battery charged just enough.....

This strongly points to the lever as being mechanical while the key works with an electrical solenoid (ultimately controlled by a signal from the car's security module). Or possibly the lever controls an electrical switch that then works the latch electrically.

Grant --> Yep. Both possibilities. The MY00 owners manual states that the front trunk cannot open with a dead battery, so that suggests cable activates solenoid....

In both cases, then, the behavior of the lever suggests there is a mechanical problem with the lever. Either the mechanical connection to the latch is faulty or the mechanical connection to the switch that activates the solenoid is faulty.

Grant --> Yep. Just trying to narrow my issues.

Your car is a bit different from mine. In my 02 the trunk lids can be opened via a key module button or by a small switch on the sill next to the driver's seat.

Grant --> Just like my My04. This is different (hey Bruce - help!)

There is AFAIK no mechanical connection between these switches -- the swtiches are too small and have too light a feel to have any substantial mechanical features -- and the latches they operate. There is a small back up cable located under each bumper that works mechanically to unlatch the trunk.

Thanks Marc! You have it right.

Grant

Grant

Re: So i'm still a bit confused
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 5:52:25 pm
Your car, as well as the 1997-1999, have the mechanical lever as stated before for both the front and the rear trunk lids.
The rear also has a solenoid operated by the remote.
Both of them also have an emergency mechanical cable hidden under the bumper skin.
If the mechanical lever did not work with the low battery it's because it was locked.
When you (or the Central Locking Unit) activate the door locks a pin, much like the one on the gas flap, secures the lever so it can't be raised ands therefore secures the trunk(s).
When you connected the jumpers it may still have been locked so the lever wouldn't work.
Lock and unlock the car several times which may just reset the lever lock.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login