Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
New GT3
Laz - Monday, 4 March, 2013, at 7:01:21 pm
If the GT3 is now PDK, won't be long until they all are!!
Re: Better order your manual now, Gary and Guenter
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 5 March, 2013, at 9:31:58 am
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
If the GT3 is now PDK, won't be long until they all are!!

Guess your hoping it comes in pink winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Maybe it depends on where you are.
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 5 March, 2013, at 5:21:10 pm
Canadian dealers have 981's with 50/50 split for manual/PDK in stock.

One dealer still has 4 unsold 2011's and 2012's in stock - all with PDK.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 11:21AM by Laz. (view changes)
Face it Gary, it's a natural progression.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 6 March, 2013, at 1:23:14 pm
Just like people go from cutting and chewing their steak dinner.

As they mature, they go on to the next stage to have that steak dinner pureed and fed to them.

Eventually, they just get that steak dinner fed intravenously. It saves all that cutting, chewing and swallowing. It doesn't get any better than that, does it?
That's a metaphor for the Google car. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 6 March, 2013, at 2:24:39 pm
Exactly. *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 6 March, 2013, at 2:50:06 pm
[i1.cpcache.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 02:28PM by Laz. (view changes)
Gimmick.
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Tuesday, 5 March, 2013, at 8:36:20 am
True, I have no clue what steerable rear wheels do in a track situation at the limits, but I had a Honda Prelude with 4-wheel steering and frankly, it is just a gimmick. Even Honda's marketing literature was grasping for straws when they said something like "effortless lane changes". Wha? Since when were lane changes difficult?

What the system was really good for was parking. I could parallel park that thing into unbelievably narrow spaces.... although when I did, I wondered how the people around me were going to get out of their spaces without crushing my bumpers (and yes they did).

The system worked in an interested way. Under a certain speed (15 MPH?) the wheels turned in opposite directions making turning incredibly tight. Over that speed, the wheels turned in parallel although not to the same degree of course. This aspect was completely undetectable to me.

On a related subject, now owning a 2009 C2S, I think Porsche may be straying from building sports cars, and building gimmicky GT cars..... I know I have heard that before, but my new experiences with my new-to-me C2S are really bringing these thoughts to me more and more.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Re: Gimmick.
MikenOH - Tuesday, 5 March, 2013, at 9:38:42 am
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)
True, I have no clue what steerable rear wheels do in a track situation at the limits, but I had a Honda Prelude with 4-wheel steering and frankly, it is just a gimmick. Even Honda's marketing literature was grasping for straws when they said something like "effortless lane changes". Wha? Since when were lane changes difficult?

What the system was really good for was parking. I could parallel park that thing into unbelievably narrow spaces.... although when I did, I wondered how the people around me were going to get out of their spaces without crushing my bumpers (and yes they did).

The system worked in an interested way. Under a certain speed (15 MPH?) the wheels turned in opposite directions making turning incredibly tight. Over that speed, the wheels turned in parallel although not to the same degree of course. This aspect was completely undetectable to me.

On a related subject, now owning a 2009 C2S, I think Porsche may be straying from building sports cars, and building gimmicky GT cars..... I know I have heard that before, but my new experiences with my new-to-me C2S are really bringing these thoughts to me more and more.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly

Bruce--I think you uncovered the real reason why it will be on the new GT3--Porsche will introduce their own intelligent parking assist system
on this new car, under the guise of enhancing handling winking smiley. Just what every GT3 owner has been asking for...

I think you're right on the direction of the 911--Porsche seems to be adding gimmicks to a car that really doesn't need them.
How does your new C2S suggest this?

BTW, any thoughts on the WG DE with NNJPCA? Great event at the right time of the year there.
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 5 March, 2013, at 9:56:46 am

Peace,
Bruce in Philly

Bruce, given your experience with both the Boxster and now your 2009 C2S, Like Mike, I'd be interested to know which features/options make it seem like a gimmicky GT car. For me it would be useful information for future consideration.

Guenter
Maybe I was too strong about using that word, but I do think the car is a bit to big and heavy. The steering is heavy... I dunno.... It just does not feel as nimble as my 2000 Boxster S. The power is sinfully addictive.

Bruce in Philly
MikenOH - Wednesday, 6 March, 2013, at 10:07:21 am
The new 991 seems--visually--to be more GT oriented than raw sports car, but still has the goods on the performance side. Here's a clip of the 991S setting new Nurburgring lap record for the 911S:
[www.youtube.com]

This car reportedly had PDK,SC,SPAM and PDCC.

The question in my mind is how much of this is the new chassis vs. the new electronic systems? With PDK, you would expect that to be worth a few seconds--at least--on a long course like this one vs. a car without PDK. Add the SPASM, PDCC and SC....

Porsche 911S (991) 400hp/1415kg
no. 32/268 7:37.90

Here's a partial list of the cars that the 991S is now faster than on the ring:
No.34 Lexus LF-A 560hp/1609kg 7:38
No.35 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera 570hp/1430kg 7:38
No.36 Ferrari 430 Scuderia 510hp/1402kg 7:39.70
No.38 Mclaren Mercedes SLR 626hp/1693kg 7:40
No.39 Porsche 991 GT3 (997.2) 435hp/1376kg 7:40

Previous 911 model:
No.66. Porsche 911 (997.2) Carrera S 7:50.00 158 '08 385hp / 1420

981S:
No.88. Porsche Boxster S (981) 7:58.00 155 '12 315 / 1320

FWIW, I look at these "Ring" times as just a means to compare various cars on one track, which should favor the high HP cars. To underscore that, the Camaro ZL1 (580HP) was only 3-4 seconds back of the 991S.
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 6 March, 2013, at 12:33:58 pm
.....I think Porsche may be straying from building sports cars, and building gimmicky GT cars..... I know I have heard that before, but my new experiences with my new-to-me C2S are really bringing these thoughts to me more and more.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly

Couldn't agree more, Bruce! I believe just the new PCM owner's manual is 200 pages eye rolling smiley and the $2K GPS isn't nearly as good as Gunter's $150 Nuvi. Porsche makes a great sports car, but all the very high margin add on options, take them too far from their core competency, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 12:34PM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 07:13PM by Laz. (view changes)
There's still lots of room for improvement there
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 6 March, 2013, at 6:36:30 pm
The next step for Starbucks is to install guided, motorized stools on wheels with cupholders and nav system. That would ensure that patrons wouldn't spill their latte or get lost on the way to the Starbucks in a Starbucks located in the washroom. You'd really be able to take care of business in style and comfort - AND not even have to think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login