Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Siphoning gas from a 2001 S
jfarris - Friday, 8 March, 2013, at 4:37:39 pm
I need to drain my tank close to dry, about a quarter of a tank. My small bulb siphon hose ran into some kind of obstruction about 33" down from the top. Any special secret to siphoning or draining gas out of a Boxster?
Thanks in advance

Jim, 2001 Boxster S, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1956 Triumph TR3
Was there any gas to siphon? How full is the tank?

You might have to remove the fuel pump and remove gas through the larger hole in the top of the tank the absent fuel pump gives you.
Re: Siphoning gas from a 2001 S
jfarris - Friday, 8 March, 2013, at 6:50:10 pm
Mark, it has just over a quarter of a tank. It is probably not worth removing the fuel pump to drain it. Before my next slalom, I need to watch the fuel gauge a little closer and get it down to where I want it, then add back what ever I want to put in.
Thanks for the idea.
Re: Siphoning gas from a 2001 S
jfarris - Saturday, 9 March, 2013, at 7:03:55 pm
I should have looked in my Bentley before asking. It says to use a hose and you may have to turn it several times. There must be a baffle or bend where the filler enters the tank and my small hose wouldn't bend or wiggle around it. I'll just plan my driving better the next time I need the tank close to empty.

Jim, 2001 Boxster S, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1956 Triumph TR3
of fuel seems hardly enough to make any appreciable difference.

In fact if you adhere to the recommendation that the fuel tank be full when the car is aligned, the alignment will not be optimum with the fuel level so low.

Also, there is the fuel pump. it is cooled by fuel in the tank and with a real low level coupled with high output due to the engine being pushed hard this low level can only accelerate the fuel pump's demise.
I've never tried it but
Boxsterra - Saturday, 9 March, 2013, at 11:24:26 am
my approach might be to disconnect one of the fuel lines, put the end in a bucket, and use the car's fuel pump to remove the gas.
Re: I've never tried it but
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 9 March, 2013, at 12:14:32 pm
I thought that it was a high pressure fuel pump. Just wondering if fuel would come out under too much pressure and bounce out of the bucket.
Spec is 1700 cc/min
Boxsterra - Sunday, 10 March, 2013, at 10:27:17 am
Which means that it will take over 2 minutes to put out a gallon. That doesn't seem terribly fast to me.
Also, the prescribed way to measure fuel pump output
Boxsterra - Sunday, 10 March, 2013, at 10:30:05 am
is to disconnect the fuel hose, run the fuel pump for 30 seconds and measure the amount of fuel.
Don't use a bucket....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 10 March, 2013, at 11:40:53 am
... it's better to use a small-mouth jug.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login