Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Rear sway bar bushings
grant - Friday, 29 March, 2013, at 6:15:28 pm
Hi all,,

this is pretty simply, but sometimes there are tricks.

I have a 2000 986 S. High miles. Most suspension new and tight. But the rear sway bar (19.2mm?) bushings are so loose you can see daylight around the thing. Anything i need to know about buying them, replacing them, etc?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Rear sway bar bushings
MarcW - Saturday, 30 March, 2013, at 10:35:50 am
grant
Hi all,,

this is pretty simply, but sometimes there are tricks.

I have a 2000 986 S. High miles. Most suspension new and tight. But the rear sway bar (19.2mm?) bushings are so loose you can see daylight around the thing. Anything i need to know about buying them, replacing them, etc?

Grant

Replacing them I can't help. I've never done them on my Boxster and it has been too long since I replaced them on my Datsun. (I made mounts out of solid aluminum and then machined up some bushings out of some tough self-lubricating plastic bushing material.)

You can go with the OEM rubber bushings or aftermarket Polyurethane bushings. See link below.

[www.pelicanparts.com]

About all I can tell you for sure is the poly bushings will deliver a harsher ride, being firmer and less compliant than the rubber bushings.
... I prefer OEM rubber for two reasons:

1. they ride better
2. they dont dent and stay dented, so they also last longer

Thanks for the input. Overall i'm mostly looking for anything oddball that i would generally overlook, or some special source.
From what i see everyone is within 10% on price = $21/ea for OEM, about the same for urethane, and this is not a pure track car.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2013 07:12PM by grant. (view changes)
You sure it's not just the bolts?
Boxsterra - Saturday, 30 March, 2013, at 11:04:12 am
The bolts are known to sometimes loosen over time. Try torquing them and see if it helps. You definitely don't want the sway bar shifting around.
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login