Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
missing spark plug screw (and oil leak)
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 11 May, 2013, at 12:01:44 pm
While investigating an oil leak (one that I hope will be solved by replacing spark plug tubes), I noticed that one of my ignitors is missing one of its two screws. My guess is that a lazy mechanic (possibly me even) didn't tighten it enough, or an even worse mechanic missed it entirely. Does anyone know where to get a replacement screw?

Edit, here's a shot of where the screw goes (circled). Also, do others with more experience agree that this mess could be from a bad tube or oring? The car (2003 base) has 100k miles on it. I last replaced the plugs at about 60k. It was about 4 years ago. I forget the mileage and whether or not I replaced the o-rings or tubes.

[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2013 12:12PM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
update: coil pack was busted
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 11 May, 2013, at 3:26:17 pm
Hmm, after reading Pedro's DIY page, I see that tube and o-ring replacement is not done for 2003 and beyond (no longer plastic, now fixed to engine).

I guess this busted coil pack could have happened from all the vibration due to the missing screw? The other pic was an attempt to see if there was any oil inside the tube. None to see, really.

[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2013 03:28PM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
Re: missing spark plug screw (and oil leak)
San Rensho - Wednesday, 15 May, 2013, at 5:10:48 pm
Get a replacement screw at almost any auto parts that sell fasteners. Just take one with you and match it up. Quality doesn't matter, its going into aluminum at a very low torque.
Screw is M6 x 25
Boxsterra - Thursday, 16 May, 2013, at 10:34:21 pm
Should be about $1 at the dealership. Really they should give it to you for free. Part # is 900.067.089.01
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login