Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I noted a while back, my 2009 Carrera 2S was having a hesitation in the upper 2,000 depending on load etc.... and Pedro recommended I clean the MAF. Well, I cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner and cleaned but not replaced the air filters and the change in engine performance was pretty dramatic. I had not realized the slow degradation in performance that had been occurring as well.

The thing is now silky smooth and "whirs".

However, there is still a suckout and the dealer and others say it is the variocam transitioning. This transition is not so noticeable now.... I don't know why this would be so but it is less.

Now was the improvement in performance, smoothness overall due to the MAF or my air filters? I was in some extremely dusty environments over the last two months.... so much so the intake plenum was coated with a fine golden dust. I washed all of this out and when I flipped my finger over the airfilters, huge clouds of dust billowed out. So I pushed air through backwards via the exhaust on my shop vac and the amount of dust that came out was pretty surprising to me. I have new filters on order from Pelican.

So what was the problem, the MAF or the dirty airfilters? Both?

Anyway, thanx Pedro for the advice.

Bruce in Philly
Probably both. But from my experience, if your filters are not condemned, you cant tell much difference.

As to the MAF. Here's my logic (call me when wrong). A dirty MAF will have a) more mass and b) more insulation. Thus it will almost always send a lower signal to the computer than the true mass of air. This results in less fuel. So you have a) less charge and b) possible detonation, which will be protected by backing off timing.

Sounds like mostly MAF to me.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login