Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
More on Gear Oil
grant - Monday, 24 June, 2013, at 2:17:07 pm
Since we had such a good row last time, and sicne there is so much noise on BBSs about this, i thought i would post soem "closer-to-fact" data i have collected on gear oil for boxsters.

Note thsi is for 6-speed porsche-made transmissions in teh 986 and 987, not *necessarily* for the 5-speeds (which are Audi 01 units). Fo all i know it may apply to the Audi-made units as well, btu one could certainyl put Audi lube in an Audi box.

1. I saw one unsourced TBB that the two OEM manufacturers of gear luibe to Porsche were/are Mobil and Shell.

2. From the LN engineering site, Charles states that the factory fill is Mobil delvac 75w90.

3. I just called Sunset imports and asked for a price on Porsche gear oil for my 2000 S 6-speed. They came back adn gave me a price on Shell synthetic gear lube.. I asked about "stuff with the porsche label on it" and he confirmed this has both the Porsche label adn part number and the shell label! It IS the same thing.

Most of the local porsche race shops around here use Delvac (Powertech, PMC racing, etc).

For the record $27/L plus ship for the Shell from Sunset Porsche.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: More on Gear Oil
Laz - Monday, 24 June, 2013, at 2:29:41 pm
Some years ago I unsuccessfully tried to locally purchase Shell Porsche spec gear oil for my 986's 5-speed. I finally bought the Porsche labeled stuff, and I think it was somewhere around 35 bucks.
i suppose for you it no longer matters, but for the 5-sp
grant - Monday, 24 June, 2013, at 2:45:18 pm
I'd just get the Audi stuff. Fairly cheap as i recall (well, comparatively so)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Thank you for the suggestion, Grant. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 24 June, 2013, at 2:56:15 pm
Re: More on Gear Oil
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 25 June, 2013, at 5:02:31 pm
I used Titan Sintopoid Transmission Fluid (Transaxle) SAE 75W-90 from Pelican Parts for $14.50 per liter. That was 30k miles ago, no complaints.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login