Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Convertable Top repair
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Tuesday, 9 July, 2013, at 12:11:50 pm
Fortunately not the Boxster! smiling smiley

My 1993 Toyota Celica's rear plastic window has separated from the top and I want to tape it in place - looking for an inexpensive fix.

So far I've tried Duct Tape and Gorilla Tape and neither has stood up to the rain or the up/down movement of the top. I no longer put the top down to try to get the "fix" to last longer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (short of replacing the top grinning smiley)..

TIA,

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Vinyl cement and lots of patience? *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 9 July, 2013, at 12:15:34 pm
Ed from Long Island
Fortunately not the Boxster! smiling smiley

My 1993 Toyota Celica's rear plastic window has separated from the top and I want to tape it in place - looking for an inexpensive fix.

So far I've tried Duct Tape and Gorilla Tape and neither has stood up to the rain or the up/down movement of the top. I no longer put the top down to try to get the "fix" to last longer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (short of replacing the top grinning smiley)..

TIA,

Ed

going to be a short term short lived fix. About all I can offer is visit a top shop and speak with the people there to ask if they can offer any interim solutions.
Mark,

I did - their "solution" was to replace the top for $750! Which was what led me to explore alternatives drinking smiley

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
If you go with the vinyl cement method,
Laz - Wednesday, 10 July, 2013, at 11:07:50 am
you might be able to use whatever your emoticon is drinking to clean up any excess.
The plastic window is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 10 July, 2013, at 11:22:52 am
... most likely vinyl, so none of the standard adhesives will work.
A vinyl cement will soften the plastic and will adhere to it, but it might not adhere to the canvas.
Get a hand awl and sew it in place. You can "tack-weld" using hot glue.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Yikes, eye popping smiley
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Thursday, 11 July, 2013, at 8:57:55 am
Maybe I'll just throw a tarp over it and not drive in the rain! grinning smiley

I appreciate all of your suggestions, but the sewing idea is way beyond my capabilities.

What I need is a tape with high elasticity that will adhere to both the vinyl and cloth. Google, here I come!

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
usable in all kinds of weather seems rather reasonable to me. If the top is original I'd say given the car is a '93 you've gotten your money's worth from the top.

Price a new top for a Boxster to make that $750 seem downright cheap by comparison.
...so he may have some ideas for you.
Good idea! *NM*
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Friday, 12 July, 2013, at 8:39:47 am
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Maurice is amazing....
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Sunday, 14 July, 2013, at 7:54:47 am
he stitched up the damaged area, including replacing some of the vinyl - looks so much better than my attempted tape fix! smileys with beer

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login