Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Took the project car to Watkins Glen this weekend
grant - Monday, 5 August, 2013, at 7:28:06 pm
Last month i took the project car (2000 Boxster S that took some recuperation) to Pocono - box stock on M+S street tires. It was great until the street tires started coming apart.

This past weekend, i took the now converted track car (PSS9s, lots of suspension parts, proper tires, seats, etc.) to Watkins Glen with NNJR-PCA. The bottom line is it ran superbly. It is predictable, stable, has plenty of compliance for WG's famously bumpy surface (and curbs that are pretty much part of the line), yet was never, ever floaty. For the record this was leaving the PSS9s on 6/9, which is on the soft side.

note: does anyone have actual dyno graphs of the 9 damping settings? I don't actually know what "6" means except "less damping than 5 and more than 7". No that's not backwards.

This will be a very nice track car. With the right driver, it can even be relatively quick. Unfortunately, i was not that driver this weekend. I simply did not have a good feel for the car yet - in some ways it felt so stable that i thought it was lying to me. Shame on me. I will say that the tires 9BFG G-force Rivals) don't seem to communicate the way other tires i've had do.. they are softer, quieter, didnt seem to move to higher and higher slip angles or at least were not telling me about it. It may well be that I simply under-drove them so much that i didnt get to experience it all.

I'll find out for sure Sunday when i'll go to our AutoX with the express purpose of finding and exceeding those limits to see what really does happen.

I have little doubt that i'll get to really like this chariot a lot.

Aside from my leisurely pace it was a terrific weekend. Car ran flawlessly, my lines and technique were even pretty good. Weather was very favorable; no major incidents, and a great BBQ/keg party Saturday night (thank you Paul Miller Porsche and especially Paul Gavel).

Watkins is not a forgiving track, but its such a great track, and its famous "blue bushes" keep you focused on a clean line.

I'll have some videos up on YouTube soon. You can even see me take the chief for, ahem, a John Deere moment. Under pretty good control too!

This chassis rocks, given the right hardware.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Took the project car to Watkins Glen this weekend
MikenOH - Monday, 5 August, 2013, at 8:36:06 pm
Grant:
Glad you had a great time--sorry I missed it; how did Dovla do with his new 981CS? I know he had new tires and pads on it.

Regarding the new car--I hear what you are saying. Moving to the 981, the first few track events were strange--the car behaved differently than the 987 and to it a while to get comfortable, especially with the brakes. After about the third track day, was starting to get comfortable and I'm sure you'll get there faster than I did.

So how do you like the additional HP/TQ?

BTW--"Watkins is not a forgiving track" is a just a bit of an understatement :0
Grant

Aha - yes, that's part of his email. *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 6 August, 2013, at 8:36:01 am
Grant

This guy?
Laz - Wednesday, 7 August, 2013, at 12:25:19 pm
Re: Congrats! How does the stereo sound at 150 MPH?
grant - Tuesday, 6 August, 2013, at 12:52:50 pm
being transferred.

Yes, i know you are joking.

never exceeded 120 - nothing that long at WG.

Grant

Grant

So, how does it sound at 120? *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 6 August, 2013, at 1:56:27 pm
Generally a lot like an unmuffled GT3 roaring by *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 6 August, 2013, at 2:24:32 pm
Grant

Re: Congrats! How does the stereo sound at 150 MPH?
MikenOH - Tuesday, 6 August, 2013, at 2:52:21 pm
What pads and fluid are you using?

Did you go with race seats and a harness?

Glad to hear all of that hard work paid off; hope to see you at VIR.
Answers
grant - Tuesday, 6 August, 2013, at 3:28:40 pm
Stoptech 309s (1200 deg MOT and cheap as can be, as usual).

ate super 200 fluid (not getting near its temps)

GT-3 Factory seats. 3-pt so far, shopping on what to get in the way of harnesses and maybe HANS.

Harness bar in. Fire extinguisher in.

yes, see you at VIR if not before (how about WG advanced drivers in Sept...?)

Grant

Grant

I went back and looked at my video from WG last year
grant - Tuesday, 6 August, 2013, at 3:33:00 pm
That was the other car, and my first time in Blue.

Also before my crash, which still haunts me some.

Since Lime Rock in April of this year i've run white (but regularly take instructors for rides)

Turns out, by that yardstick, i am faster in the new car - or it clearly looks that way - i don't have lap times (don't ask).

I guess the bar just keeps rising. I expected to run like i ran at T-bolt and the Pocono infield, and didn't. New tires, unforgiving track, but i did make progress.

But as in many things it looks like two steps forward, one back - then keep the ratchet going :-)

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login