Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Arctic Silver and Dr. Colorchip
Al in Melbourne Beach - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 4:54:10 pm
Has anyone used DCC on Arctic Silver with success? I maybe let mine sit in the garage too long, or I'm not good with it, or maybe it just doesn't work so good on metallc paint. It looked OK until I tried to polish out the excess with the t-shirt on the credit card, but it was like all the metallic was on the surface and after smoothing it was too dark and gray looking. Hoping for some pointers here.....

Thanks,

Al
Re: Arctic Silver and Dr. Colorchip
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 5:13:24 pm
I used Dr. ColorChip on my Arctic Silver 06 and it seemed to work just fine. I don't remember any instructions to use a credit card. I just followed their instructions. I believe you have to polish with the "blending liquid" within something like 5 minutes after dabbing in the paint. Once there was just a haze, I used the cloth that came with the kit to gently polish over the area until it was clear and shiny. You can't let the paint sit too long before the "blending" step.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 05:20PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Al in Melbourne Beach - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 6:54:15 pm
You're right Guenter. I was confusing two separate attempts. The credit card and t-shirt is for the stuff we get as samples at BRBS, Langka, I think it was. It didn't work well for me either. Maybe there is a pattern here.

Anyway, the trouble I was posting about was the DCC. I couldn't get very good smoothing results with the wiping and then when I used the polishing liquid, it got gray.

I'm going to order some more and try it while the paint is fresh.

Al
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 9:15:28 pm
Al in Melbourne Beach
You're right Guenter. I was confusing two separate attempts. The credit card and t-shirt is for the stuff we get as samples at BRBS, Langka, I think it was. It didn't work well for me either. Maybe there is a pattern here.

Anyway, the trouble I was posting about was the DCC. I couldn't get very good smoothing results with the wiping and then when I used the polishing liquid, it got gray.

I'm going to order some more and try it while the paint is fresh.

Al

Was the whole area you were wiping gray? It's almost like a haze. That you wipe/polish (I use very little pressure to avoid scratching the paint) off with the cloth that came with the kit. I found the video on their website quite helpful.

Good luck with it. Arctic Silver. thumbs up
With Seal Grey I even tried mixing in an arbitrary silver, but settled for daubing in the paint such that the crystals would be oriented for a match at the anticipated most common viewpoints. Never tried it, but perhaps the deft use of a graphic arts airbrush such as a Thayer & Chandler, or Paasche would yield better results. It's just so hard to have the paint liquid enough, yet still have the crystals stop swimming around at just the right moment. Agate Grey is much darker and just a little bit less difficult.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login