Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Need advice - ignition / key issue - 2001 Boxster S
ScarGO - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 4:38:32 pm
Hi Everyone - I'm having an issue that I'd like to get some advice on:

Over the past three days, I've been having problems related to getting my key into and out of the ignition. The first warning I got was after turning the car off, I removed the key, proceeded to open the driver's door, and the warning chime went off and the vehicle did not allow me to lock the doors. After going back into the car and forcing the key back in (took a minute), I turned the key into the "on" position and back off a couple of times until the interior light went on after removing the key. Then the door opened and no warning chime, and it allowed me to lock as normal. I took extra care (very deliberately) when turning the key each time I shut the car off and everything was fine for the next two days. Then last night I had the same issue - again turning the car off (no interior light when the key was pulled out and warning chime when door opened) - but this time it was much more stubborn - taking as many as 10 tries to force the key in, turn the key back and forth until the proper off position was achieved. At this time I had reached a destination and still would need to get home after dining. When I got back into the car, I again forced the key in and started the car (no problem so far) then turned the headlights on - only to have a tiny fraction of the headlight brightness coming from each headlight. When I flashed the high beams, those worked fine, but when I clicked the high beams into the locked position, they did not come on. Long story short, I drove home with the high beams manually turned on the whole time just so I could see the road (was a short drive, thankfully). I of course then had the same issues shutting the car off when I got home.

Has anyone here had a similar experience and can "shed some light" on the issue? I will need to get this taken care of early this week, but I don't know if this is a known issue, or if this is a gremlin that has to be traced. Any thoughts would help - and help me to determine if I can take this to my local indy shop, or must go to the dealer.

Additional background - the battery is less than 5 months old, the car is now used daily, I live in Las Vegas (moved here 5 months ago), I've owned the car for 9 years, and the car has low miles (I'll be sure to put my flame suit on for that!) and runs like a dream.

Many thanks in advance!
You have an issue with the ignition switch.
The ignition switch is made up of two parts, the electrical switch and the mechanical tumblers.
Even though both sides can fail, I would first just replace the electrical portion.You can find directions and part numbers on my website under the DIY section.
[pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Need advice - ignition / key issue - 2001 Boxster S
ScarGO - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 5:42:52 pm
Many thanks, Pedro - you are a life saver!
HUGE thanks for the remedy and the perfect step-by-step instructions for the fix!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login