Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Questions on clear bra
Joanne in OC - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 4:21:35 pm
I want to get the clear bra when my car gets here. What should I be looking for in the company who does it? What questions should I ask. I've been doing some research but there are so many companies here and pricing varies from $1200 to over $1800.

When I went to PCA, I was given a couple names. 1 I had already called, as I know the owner through PCA. The other has not returned my call. Another friend with a Carrera 4S had it installed on his car and I didn't even know it was there, even looking close, it was very hard to tell. I called the company and the guy gave me the lowest price. He says he has lots of Porsches there (does dealer work) and I could stop by his shop to look. He's using the Excel product. I can't remember the warranty. I don't usually go with the cheapest company but it seems like a very good and reputable company. YELP has 5 star recommendations for it. .... Oh, and he offered to drive me to and from work when I bring the car in.

I don't want to choose the wrong product either.

Joanne
Re: Questions on clear bra
ScarGO - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 5:47:46 pm
I used the 3M Scotchguard - did the entire hood, front bumper, front fenders, and mirrors. The representative came to my house to install for $1250. 3M warrants the product for 5 years. I do know that Expel is a great product as well, just don't know any details for comparison.
Had Expel installed by an OH company in March
MikenOH - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 6:21:26 pm
Bumper, partial hood/fenders and full sills--$850 +$75 trip charge to the house for the installation.

Well worth the $ IMO; 5 track days in and no chips (knock on metal) in the paint.
Re: Questions on clear bra
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 6:56:26 pm
I had the 3M clear bra done on my 06. Front bumper only. After 6 1/2 years and 67K miles, there still wasn't a mark on it.

I've had the same (3M bumper only) done on my new one. If you do the hood, I'd recommend doing the whole hood. I had a few chips (both bottom and top) on mine but found Dr. ColorChip fixed them up nicely. Decided to go the same route again this time.
Re: Clear bra comparison test
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 10:00:41 pm
I have the full hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, door handle recesses and door edges with Xpel. I think Gman will testify that it is almost undetectable unless you get very close. Assuming you go with a good product (such as Xpel or 3M), the most important consideration is the installer. The guy who did mine also did it for the Jaguar, Lexus, Rolls Royce and Range Rover. ALso, it is my understanding you get best results from pre-cut kits - not cut on the car as applied.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Clear bra comparison test
Joanne in OC - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 10:06:14 pm
That's good to know. While I was at PCA there were a few cars where the product didn't wrap around the edge, it was quite obvious. When I asked the installer about this. He said that sometimes there is a problem in the corners. He offered to do mine custom to ensure each piece would be wrapped and would cost an extra $100.00.
Joanne
but I don't think it's the 3M, which comes off very well in the video Guenter posted.
Have you considered....
grant - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 8:34:03 am
The new 3M spray-on product? It looks to be fairly simple to get a good result.

I believe it is called the paint defender system

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
There seems to be a lot of orange peel, which isn't really a Porsche paint trait anymore. Going only part way up the hood would accentuate that, and it even shows in the video. My car also has protection on the headlights and wheel arch trailing edges. Concerning the headlights, this stuff would mess with the light projection, both in terms of performance and the oncoming car scatter effect that "dirty" HIDs can have.
Laz
There seems to be a lot of orange peel, which isn't really a Porsche paint trait anymore. Going only part way up the hood would accentuate that, and it even shows in the video. My car also has protection on the headlights and wheel arch trailing edges. Concerning the headlights, this stuff would mess with the light projection, both in terms of performance and the oncoming car scatter effect that "dirty" HIDs can have.

Based on my experience with my 06, it's not just the first 18" of the hood that get stone chips. That's why I recommend if you're going to get the hood done, better do the whole thing. Otherwise, you get the line 18" up the hood and stone chips above that. The few chips I did get on the hood, I was able to repair with Dr. ColorChip.

The bumper gets the worst beating because of direct hits by debris. As I said before, my bumper didn't have a mark on it after 67K miles.

I've never found bugs to be an issue, if you keep the car waxed. (I like P21S once every 2 months.) The bugs will wash right off with a sponge and warm water - as long as you don't let them bake on for a long time.
My car has 3M Ventureshield.
Laz - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 3:36:50 pm
It was 1450 pretax and covers the whole hood, whole nose, headlights, DRLs, partway up each of the wheel well lips' trailing edges, and the front-facing portions of the rear view mirrors. Not sure what the warranty is, but it certainly is doing the job. 3M'S site gives pretty much the same maintenance instructions for Ventureshield and Scotchgard. No abrasive stuff or alcohol should be used. I contacted Zaino as they call their product a "polish" which to me could indicate some abrasive quality, but they assured me their stuff is fine, and it is.
You don't even have your car yet
Boxsterra - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 8:35:05 pm
and you're already clothes shopping? drinking smiley
!! *NM*
Laz - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 8:51:00 pm
Barbarella? *NM*
Laz - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 8:54:00 pm
grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 8:56:52 pm
Of course .... I am a girl
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 13 August, 2013, at 1:03:02 am
you know ..... we do have to be prepared so we can keep ourselves looking good smiling smiley
How do I know I have a good installer?
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 13 August, 2013, at 1:07:52 am
Thanks for all the info on the product ...... And as mentioned, a good installer is needed. How do I know which one is better?
Joanne
Re: How do I know I have a good installer?
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 13 August, 2013, at 8:34:20 am
See if you can find someone who has a recommendation in your area. Maybe contact your local PCA club.

Ask to see some of their work.

Both dealers where I've bought my cars had good installers do the work for them. Ask your dealer to see some cars they've had done. They may have one/some on the lot. That should tell you if you're happy with the quality of the install.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 13 August, 2013, at 11:58:12 am
Just a note - if it is a brand new install, you may see some small bubbles udner the film. This is normal and will disappear in a few days as the film "cures".

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 13 August, 2013, at 12:21:33 pm
Like most things in life, the external quest for the 'best' or a good is a crap shoot. cool smiley

Although I'm not a proponent of a two grand ($) bubble wrapping of the front of a Boxster, if you do it, cover the full hood. Several installers that come very highly recommended in CA include:

[www.premiermobilegroup.com]

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-406-1500

www.prestige-films.com

408-657-3880 or vtran@prestige-films.com

Things to watch out for:

1. cuts in paint from inexperienced installers using a razor
2. precut template vs. custom (some precut installers are better than custom, but keep in mind there is no universal rating for each).
3. try to look at the work in person if possible - this is the best indication of what to expect on your car
4. experience, experience, experience - there are many new installers on the market claiming to have more experience than they really do, so beware. Some installers are actually just sub-contracting work out and claiming it be their own. Either way, due diligence and look for online reviews.

They say that Xpel tore a lot easier than ClearGuardX. There was a nick in the film, which the owner of a 991 tried to tear off, it continued to tear in a long streak of 6" from where the initial 3mm nick. Needless to say he was irritated. In speaking to the manufacturer they did acknowledge that it has a "softer" clearcoat, which is why it tore through the way it did.

As for 3M, it's product has too much orange peel texture for my taste and I don't know of any downsides to use of ClearGuardX especially with its clarity.

Good luck.....

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login