Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The elusive front diagonal control link
grant - Friday, 16 August, 2013, at 8:31:07 am
Hi folks, this may be very basic, but amazingly it is not covered in either Bentley or the PDF of the factory repair manual that i have.

Nothing tells me about the removal/installation procedure or any gotchas for the from the diagonal control link ( chassis to center of wishbone) on a 986.

I ask because i was/am doing the front sway bar bushings, and to do them one must move the "boomerang" which holds down the control arm bushing caps. This boomerang is secured, and pivoted on, the bolt that holds the chassis end of the diagonal link.

When i went in to do the sway bar bushings the, as usual, incomplete instructions from 101 projects simply said "pivot the boomerang". Ok, but:

1. its tight as hell
2. it pivots on the bolt that holds the chassis end of the diagonal control arm
- must i torque it back? Put locktitie on it? Did i just bugger the attachment?
- does twisting it put any strain on the pivot end (ball joint? What? how do i find out?)

Anyway - can any one describe the diagonal control arm - looks like a ball joint, can you provide the specifics?
Can any BTDT folks tell me how much one loosens the bolt typically when doing sway bars,and what the re-install procedure (torque, method) and any issues are?

Thanks, what are they thinking?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
A guided your from the BTDT set would be great.

[i43.tinypic.com]

Grant

Grant

I simply removed that bolt. Takes a bit of force to break loose, but it will come loose.
See, that's what caught me off guard. (more)
grant - Monday, 19 August, 2013, at 8:18:28 pm
typically, once you break a bolt loose, it turns more easily, and gets progressively easier.

This one i turned anough to pivot the boomerang, and it remained just as tight in both directions as it was initially. Every degree was a fight, whcih made me think there might be more going on. I bet someone gunked it up with red locktite. It must be a replacement, or a remarkable specimen for 202k miles.

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login