Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
From the manual of my 2009 C2S:

Note
Door windows feature a water-repellent (hydrophobic)
coating which prevents soiling of the
windows.
This coating is subject to natural wear and can be
renewed.
f Consult an authorized Porsche dealer

I know what the coating does, but how was it applied, has anyone had it wear off, and did anyone have Porsche re-apply it? Is this now on all models?

This is a weird one... I never heard of this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I'm not sure what the coating is, but my 06 had it according to the manual. I never had it replaced and couldn't tell the difference. It isn't anything I would spend money on.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
I haven't found a difference in the way the water is repelled from my 06 (which was never redone) to the 981. I've always had the water bead up and run off both the windshield and the side windows. I've never used RainX either.
Did the 06 have a factory treatment? *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 20 August, 2013, at 7:22:22 am
Yes, according to the manual. *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 20 August, 2013, at 7:37:57 am
Something like Nikasil or Lokasil.
it is a hydrophobic coating and is subject to wear and can be renewed.

I just never found a real difference from new to 6.5 years old in the 987 and now to the new 981 when driving in the rain.

I've always had water bead up on my windshield of all my cars. I think it's a product of keeping the windshield and wipers clean. It keeps the wipers from streaking. I never use the wipers to clean bugs off the windshield. Except, of course when it's raining.
Although not as apparent for the side windows, it's quite something to be driving slowly in the rain and then entering an expressway. The action of the water is like a movie-spaceship-going-into-hyperdrive moment: the stars suddenly streaking past and then disappearing.
I always thought that ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 21 August, 2013, at 8:05:19 am
... That scene was waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooo loooooong.
But it's my all-time favorite movie.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Same here, until Wings of Desire.
Laz - Wednesday, 21 August, 2013, at 9:40:04 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login