Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
A couple of things I noticed on our road trip.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 12:42:27 pm
Two things I never noticed on my 987 that seem to be features on the 981.

Trailing throttle seems to come on automatically after a minute or so of a long decent with constant engine braking. Cuts off again after about 30 seconds. Maybe I've just noticed it on the 981 with the burbling that kicks in. Happened consistently in the NC mountains with long descents on the BRP. Not sure why this happens.

Windshield wipers (used them a LOT the second day) They stop in a down position, next time make a small upward movement, then down, then up consistently. Maybe to rest in a different surface to make the blades last longer?

Any other 981ers notice either of these?
'Gremlins'.

winking smiley

Lately, I've noticed my 987's 'dust reduction system' has been automatically engaging.

Yup, an oil drip on the garage floor.
Roger987
'Gremlins'.

winking smiley

Lately, I've noticed my 987's 'dust reduction system' has been automatically engaging.

Yup, an oil drip on the garage floor.

I don't think they're necessarily gremlins. I just wonder if, on a long downhill run, there's some reason that the engine needs to be fed some gas. Maybe it just wants to remind me that the PSE is on because you start getting that nice burbling for about 30 seconds, then cuts out again.
I was kidding
Roger987 - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 2:26:56 pm
I want PSE. I'm not kidding.

Lately, I find myself feathering the throttle when decelerating, to produce a hint of the burbling you get whenever you want it.
Re: I was kidding - I know
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 4:31:59 pm
That PSE is the absolute best stereo system I've ever had in a car. smiling bouncing smiley
Re: A couple of things I noticed on our road trip.
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 2:03:30 pm
Guenter in Ontario
Windshield wipers (used them a LOT the second day) They stop in a down position, next time make a small upward movement, then down, then up consistently. Maybe to rest in a different surface to make the blades last longer?

No, on the first issue, but even us 991ers get thae little wiper re-set blip...so it must be OK winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
Guenter in Ontario

No, on the first issue, but even us 991ers get thae little wiper re-set blip...so it must be OK winking smiley

Of course it's no on the first one for Floridians. Except for interstate on/off ramps, you don't even have any hills, let alone mountain runs.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Absolutely.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 4:33:15 pm
We have some in Ontario, but nothing like in NC.
to keep the engine coolant/oil temperature above some minimum.

On a particularly long downgrade in my 996 I was taken aback by the very noticeable drop in coolant temperature as indicated by the coolant gage. The needle had dropped from its normal fully up to temp position to about one third of the way to the dead cold position. About then it occurred to me I had been essentially coasting the car down this downgrade under closed throttle for some miles.
Re: A couple of things I noticed on our road trip.
Laz - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 3:54:28 pm
When the car is turned on, the wipers lift slightly, like they're saying, "Ready!"
Also, on slow speed, when the car comes to a halt, they go into an intermittent mode, then resume normal operation when the car is underway.
I've mentioned previously getting an exhaust splatter/popping (not a pleasant burble, although the car will do that, too) when doing a moderately aggressive 1-2 shift. There might be some correlation to rpm/cam timing/lift, etc, but I don't recall it doing that until becoming more prevalent in say, the last 5000 miles. It used to happen only in Sport mode. For a while I was trying to mostly shift using the reminder, but then started to wonder if the valves might be getting carbonized or something like that. The tankful before the present one, I added Techron, but know it won't be directly passing by the intake valves due to DFI. (Unless it's aimed at the backs of the open valves, which doesn't make sense.) I've also gone into a more aggressive shifting mode: higher upshifts, more redlining, holding or dropping into in lower gears more. This style seems to be helping somewhat but is mostly inconclusive. Mostly what works consistently is very deliberately and quickly completely lifting off the throttle during shifts.
There has been less soot on the exhaust tips.
conditions have combustion gases flowing backwards around the intake valves. This is how deposits on the backs of the intake valves get there in the first place. The Techron vapor in the combustion gas condenses on the colder intake valves and acts to wash away the deposits.
Haven't noticed the wipers doing that when turning the car on, but have noticed it when turning it off. Do you have the rain sensor wipers? I don't.

I turned on the upshift indicator. Wow. Can't believe how low it would keep your engine revs. I'd really feel I was lugging the engine..

I too have found that if you drive it more like a sports car and less like an econobox, the tailpipes stay cleaner looking. (Although I doubt the nice officer would really give a damn about my clean tailpipes.)

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
I believe they're in a package with auto dimming mirrors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login