Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Water drains...
MarcW - Sunday, 8 September, 2013, at 6:09:28 pm
I'm pretty careful about not parking under trees/near plants that drop trash on the car. I pick off leaves and such whenever I spot any on the car. I even had a row with the apartment manager about the lawn care employees blowing grass clippings onto my cars. (This stopped for a while but the other day I noticed grass clippings all over the Boxster. I'm going to have another row with the manager about this.)

So recently I have noticed an uncharacteristic bit of what looks like window fog at the base of the windshield after washing the car. (Oh no odor of anti-freeze and the coolant level is steady so the fog is not from a heater core leak.) I checked the drain basins and there was no water present. But today at the office I removed the battery cover and the panels on either side and had a much closer look.

There was some plant trash present so I used a shop vac to remove the stuff. There was some dry stuff in the drain holes but it didn't feel too bad.

I tested the drains with some water from a large pan. The drains did not run as fast and free as I was expecting.

So I grabbed a length of electrical cord -- I would have preferred to use some small diameter plastic hose but I have none of this -- and carefully used it like a plumbing snake to clear out the drains. I got them flowing much better but next time I have the car in I'm going to ask the tech remove the panels and from under the car use shop air to blow the trash up and out of the drains and then clean out of the basins.

Oh that reminds me... I didn't bother to check the rear drains. Guess my water drain job is not complete just yet.
On your shop vac, can't you reconnect the hose to the exhaust port and then blow them out from the top? I would then fill the area with water and then ram the hose through the puddle and blow the water and debris out. I suspect that would work assuming the hose diameter is consistent over the drain length. I bet that is just as effective as blowing up the other way. Just a suggestion.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Blow them out yourself....
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 8 September, 2013, at 7:45:13 pm
I agree with Bruce. His method would also mean less mess around the battery try and even in the trunk once you're done.

When you get to the back drains. Remember that there are 4 of them. Two at the bottom of the plastic liner under the roof - you can see them when the top about 6' open and the clamshell is in the open position. While the clamshell is open, check the other two drain plugs right under the front points of the clamshell (just behind the door frame). There is a black rubber grommet in the channel under the clamshell. It is on the outside wall of the channel - that's why most people don't notice it.
The drain holes are not easy to get at anyhow. From underneath is better. Blows the stuff out the way it came in. Do not want to ram a hose or anything through for fear of tearing the drain hose or basin. With these gentleness is the key.

The basins/drains drain well enough now but there's still a bit of trash. It will come out easy with an air hose from the underneath end.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login