Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Quick video and summary from Watkins Glen
grant - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 8:50:02 am
Monday and Tuesday NNJR-PCA had our "advanced" DE at Watkins Glen - no students, just instructors and advanced solo drivers. That results in two run groups, open passing and LOTS of track time.

For those who've followed the saga of my resuscitated track car, the 2nd day - beautiful weather, crisp and clear, started with a bi of a scare. On the 2nd lap of the first session - tires and track not even warm, i got a flashing CEL ( the scary one) between the heel of the boot and the off-camber (aka between 8 and 9). I immediately backed off - it drive smoothly and the CEL went out. I pitted.

Long story short, the code was "misfire cyl 5" (2). We reset it and I elected to drive easy for the rest of the day so i'd salvage the track day and make it home. I also had the nice opportunity to have a ride along from Peter Argetsinger, a professional coach at WG and Sebring, one-time chief instructor of the Skip Barber school and formula BMW ( in Yurrup). Its amazing what the real pros see. Despite riding along, with helmets etc., he was able to note - i don't know how - that i wasn't looking as far ahead as i could. Basic, essential stuff. He's also a treasure trove of tactical info on WG - seems to know every pebble and its camber angle. Nice guy. And i didn't kill us.

This video (the first i'll post) is the very last run, combined Red/Black, open passing. You'll see that i never let the car loose on the straights - i'm short shifting and keeping it below about 6200 rpm. So lap times are not very good, but i had a lot of fun working the corners and picking up a few seconds here and there.

Car felt great. Peter drove it 4 laps the day before and really liked it too- for what it is.

Note to anyone setting up a track car. Don't make the suspension too stiff initially. I'm finding that the PSS9s set 2/3 soft are actually great for rough tracks like WG (or Sebring), curbs, etc. I assure everyone that the slow part of the car is not the suspension, but the driver.....

Enjoy - i'll get at least one more up, including the run with Peter so you can listen in ( if your ears are good).

[youtu.be]

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Yeeha! *NM*
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Sunday, 22 September, 2013, at 10:17:52 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login