Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Just changed the oil in my 2009 C2S this weekend and the first change with my new, rare earth, super magnetized horror grabber oil drain plug. The results? Nothing. Sorry to disappoint, but nothing.
The shiny magnet surface had a super thin coating of black... probably micro-scopic metal particles in oil. Wiped off. Shiny again. The good news is that my wallet is lighter. No more lugging around all that heavy cash.

What is really sick is that for this to be of value, bad things would have to happen. But then what would I do?

Why did I buy and install one? I am a geek and thought it would be interesting.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Just be very, very careful not to damage your oil pan
grant - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 9:12:45 am
I would be hesitant to let any shop do an oil change with that thing in.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Good point,
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 10:18:44 am
I am doing my own changes now. It is the LN unit, aluminum so it is not really different than the Porsche one. Same torque specs etc. I guess the risk is wiping it into the threads. But the particulates, if there, are so microscopic that I can't see any issue.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Good point,
San Rensho - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 11:09:21 am
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)
I am doing my own changes now. It is the LN unit, aluminum so it is not really different than the Porsche one. Same torque specs etc. I guess the risk is wiping it into the threads. But the particulates, if there, are so microscopic that I can't see any issue.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

The torque spec is not the same. It's 19 ft-lbs, check the LN site. The pelican site has it listed wrong at 37. I broke mine torquing to 37, pelican gave me another one under warranty.
Re: Good point,
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 11:21:38 am
YES! I was confused also. I did 19 ft-lbs. There was a sticker on the unit and I just figured the Porsche torque spec (same as sticker) was accurate given the pressure needed to deform the washer and create a seal.

Warning: the 37 ft lbs also propagated out to some Rennlist threads. Best to triple check sources.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 11:22AM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
I am confused....

Why would having a magnet be a problem? Several of my older cars had magnets on the drainplug. Unfortunately, I would sometimes have "hair" on the plug. I was happy not to have that circulating.

So again ??? I am completely missing how such a plug could do harm.
Because,
grant - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 2:10:33 pm
....many are either steel or a harder alloy. Even in the LN case - and i have lots of respect for LN, its hard-anaodized and can damage the softer oil pan.

The factory one is designed to be sacrificial. I have in fact sacrificed one already.

We have discussed this at length - i assumed the info was already out there....

Grant

Grant

Re: Because,
San Rensho - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 6:34:29 pm
grant
....many are either steel or a harder alloy. Even in the LN case - and i have lots of respect for LN, its hard-anaodized and can damage the softer oil pan.

The factory one is designed to be sacrificial. I have in fact sacrificed one already.

We have discussed this at length - i assumed the info was already out there....

Grant

It's very unlikely you will goober the sump plate if you torque the mag plug to 37. When I did it, the plugs shoulder cracked, no damage to the sump plate, but a chance of an oil leak or the pug coming out completely. And worst case scenario, you strip the threads on a sump pate. They are cheap and easy to replace.
Its not just over-torquing, it could be cross-threading, etc.
grant - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 7:32:07 pm
Just not ideal. Cheap and easy as it is, its a lot harder than doing a drain plug!

Or maybe you intended to reply to the post re: torque. At which point, nevermind :-)

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login