Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
WTH? Brake wear warning light came on...
MarcW - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 12:48:37 pm
Rats. These brakes have lasted a long time though. Not quite as long as the original set but they have been pretty long lived. Anyhow, time to measure the rotors and see if new ones are needed when I order new pads and other brake hardware.
Are you sayng this is only your 2nd set?
grant - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 1:10:40 pm
That's amazing. We track rats change pads faster than oil.

Rotors will certainly last 3 sets of pads, unless you use the sandpaper kind.

unless you want to get new ones that are nto glazed. Every rotor gets a glaze eventually. I'm too cheap to really care.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry. I wasn't clear.. Not the second set...
MarcW - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 7:21:45 pm
However, I do not know how many sets of rotors let alone pads the car has had over the years/miles. I'm just saying this last set of pads/rotors has lasted a good long time just like the 1st set, the OE set.
I got 50K miles out of the pads and around 100K miles out of the
rotors.

Subsequent sets of rotors/pads did not last nearly as long.
i would think that 40k+ for pads and 100k+ for rotors is very reasonable. I have nearly 60k on my red car, and many, many track days, and still have my original rear rotors and am not quite ready to install my 3rd set of front rotors. Pads? lots.

FWIW, i am VERY happy with Balo rotors (cheap at Pelican, and seriously good) and think that TEXTAR makes the best "OEM" pad - although the Brembos that came from the factory were also very good.

I am not a fan of ever cutting rotors. It removes valuable thermal mass and too often it makes an otherwise straight rotor less so.

I also find that cleaning the pistons so they glide smoothly pays dividends in feel, subtle brake ability and wear. I think some guy MarcW taught me that :-)

Since i occasionally track every car i own i now leave track capable pads and fluid in all my cars.

Your mileage is an inspiration. Keep at it.

Grant

Grant

Cheaper
Boxsterra - Saturday, 21 September, 2013, at 9:26:05 am
FWIW, the same parts are 30% cheaper at AutoHausAz. Their online search doesn't return everything they have but it is $50 as opposed to $73 at Pelican.
What's $50 vs 70? *NM*
grant - Saturday, 21 September, 2013, at 9:42:01 am
Grant

$20 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out *NM*
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 21 September, 2013, at 11:23:29 am
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2013 11:23AM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
What i'm trying to figure out is...
grant - Sunday, 22 September, 2013, at 5:07:42 pm
What part you are talking about. My front Balo rotors (2004, 2.7) were $47 at Pelican when i last bought them, admittedly some time back,,,,,

Grant

Grant

but the set is still much cheaper at the other place
with which I can buy up to $1000 worth of parts or service and get a substantial (?) discount that I received from the dealer where I bought my 996. This is the second one. The first I never used (and let it expire) because after my bad experience with the service there I never went back. But now that I need brake parts this might be a good time to use the card just to buy parts. I'll see what my local dealer parts department can do with the parts prices and I might just save myself a drive to Fremont during the week and get the parts from my local dealer I pass on the way to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login