Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Replacement for Boxster Spyder/Cayman R coming next spring?
MikenOH - Thursday, 26 September, 2013, at 9:06:31 am
From Rennlist:
[forums.rennlist.com]

HP rating of 370, priced at $75k.

At this price, it sounds too good to be true. Competition for base the Carrera or M3,C7,....
Re: Interesting!
AS2003 - Thursday, 26 September, 2013, at 12:52:27 pm
This is an interesting development. Releasing a 2015 GTS in the spring of 2014 should boost interest and sales. I presume the new 981 GTS will get the GT3 re-programmed steering, too.

I just wish the long-rumored 981 Targa would appear.
Re: Interesting!
MikenOH - Thursday, 26 September, 2013, at 1:15:21 pm
It does sound interesting, but making the jump to 370hp from 325 seems like wishful thinking.
To maintain the HP relationship between the models, the base Carrera would have to go up to a minimum of 390 or so. Not impossible to get to but it's a big bump in one year.
The rumours for this have been arround for some time
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 26 September, 2013, at 1:38:10 pm
I think this is the model in which Porsche is expected to introduce the turbo charged 4 banger with PDK only. Introducing it as the top/most expensive/high performance model, I think they want to have people accept the turbo 4 concept and then bring the turbo 4 down to the other models in detuned form.
Re: The rumours for this have been around for some time
AS2003 - Thursday, 26 September, 2013, at 1:53:26 pm
I think Guenter is likely correct. The only way to introduce the 4 cylinder is to introduce it as a premium product---and then let it trickle down.
Re: The rumours for this have been arround for some time
MikenOH - Thursday, 26 September, 2013, at 4:56:15 pm
Agreed--I recall reading something about this in the Spring; can't say I've seen anything else from someone in Porsche organization quoting specifics on time frame, MSRP and HP/TQ numbers. The TQ numbers do look a bit strange though--turbo motors usually have higher TQ numbers than HP; an earlier story had the numbers at 350HP/369TQ--which would seem to make better sense.
Re: Replacement for Boxster Spyder/Cayman R coming next spring?
db997S - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 9:19:56 am
It seems too early in the new model year for Porsche to be bringing out the limited-production cars. They typically do that at the end of a cycle to spark interest.
Re: Replacement for Boxster Spyder/Cayman R coming next spring?
MikenOH - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 10:04:40 am
Very true--Porsche typically does this at the end of a model run when it wants to spike sales a bit, making me wonder if this will be a permanent model along the lines of the GT3--dedicated performance model, at a much different price point.
Picture from Other Site
AS2003 - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 11:44:45 am
From this car site: [jalopnik.com]

Re: Picture from Other Site
MikenOH - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 1:04:22 pm
could not make out the technical details on my phone.what are the specs and what's included with the package?
MEH...
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 5:28:35 pm
More Info.....

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: MEH...+1
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 5:56:36 pm
The car that's shown is a Cayman S. The GTS is supposed to have different bumper covers from the current 981's.

I really don't think the GTS is supposed to be a replacement for the Cayman R or Boxster Spyder. Don't the 911 GTS models usually just come with some options as standard - not necessarily more performance oriented than the standard and S models? I don't think an extra 15 HP is really going to make much of a difference. Maybe 0.1 second less to 60 mph. Aside from the different bumper covers and bit of extra power, there isn't anything on these cars that you can't already order.
MikenOH - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 6:22:50 pm
sounds like typical Porsche marketing.
a little more horsepower, a few more styling cues and that's it.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 8:42:26 pm
MikenOH

I'll just have to make do with my Sports Suspensioned S. cool smiley The more I drive this car, the more I love it. Just turned over 5K miles. Not bad for 2 months. Gonna be hard to keep the miles down on it.
MikenOH - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 10:09:38 pm
Guenter in Ontario
MikenOH

I'll just have to make do with my Sports Suspensioned S. cool smiley The more I drive this car, the more I love it. Just turned over 5K miles. Not bad for 2 months. Gonna be hard tSo keep the miles down on it.
Guenter
Seems strange to build a HP variant of the 981 and not include the SS.
BTW, have you gotten a second set of rims with Blizzaks so you can drive all year round? winking smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 11:15:29 pm
MikenOH
Guenter in Ontario
MikenOH
Guenter
Seems strange to build a HP variant of the 981 and not include the SS.
BTW, have you gotten a second set of rims with Blizzaks so you can drive all year round? winking smiley

That's exactly my point. The Boxster Spyder has the SS and reduced in weight. The GTS versions usually are more of a special edition with an option package that's a bit less expensive than ordering separately. It just seems like they're more luxury than performance oriented.

Yup. I arranged to have my Blizzaks installed at the same time you get get yours done. winking smiley
Only 15ph increase +
Harvey in FL - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 3:16:18 pm
Pasm, Sport Design front/rear fascia, GTS badging, 20-inch Carrera S wheels, upgraded steering wheel, and leather interior.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login