Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Racing harness input wanted
grant - Friday, 4 October, 2013, at 4:58:50 pm
Hello all,

I'm looking into racing (6-pt) harnesses and HANS.

My car already has GT-3 seats, (non-halo); harness bar, sub-strap bars on seats (well, i have one and will get a 2nd). I have anchor points for the lap belts as well.

I have a few questions/thoughts:

1. it seems that 2" belts are winning out over 3" belts both for HANS compatibility but also to protect one's pelvis. Any comments?

2. There's also some concern that once you have restraints, the weak link can be one's neck. But halo seats are really not a practical option for me at the moment.....

3. HANS options? and HANS that provide lateral support for the neck?

4. General comments on safety, good/bad experiences, etc.

Right now i'm on track to get FIA shroth stuff and next a HANS. I see no reason not to install myself, i know where they anchor and it will take me less time to do it than to drop the car off at an expert.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Racing harness input wanted
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Friday, 4 October, 2013, at 6:53:06 pm
You can definitely do it yourself, but it sounds like you have the lap and sub anchor points, which is all the installation needed (other than HANS anchors on the helmet). A Schroth Profi-II HANS (all 2" belts) harness and a HANS and you are good to go. I find the Schroth to be very good. The clip-in ends for the lap and sub belts will work with your eye bolt anchors. The shoulder belts will wrap around your harness bar. Verify with the vendor that they will be stamped with this year's date; consider waiting until January if you don't need them before that, so that you get another year before expiration!

Later, get a halo seat, a center net, and a window net when you get a roll cage so that you meet race tech requirements if you are heading in that direction. Not much you can do about lateral head support until you get a halo seat and a center net.
Thanks. Sounds like my conclusion. As to the cage...
grant - Saturday, 5 October, 2013, at 8:11:51 am
I am heading in that direction for both safety and rigidity, but likely not immediately.

Grant

Grant

The day you put a racing harness in the car...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 4 October, 2013, at 11:12:48 pm
... is the day you have to remove the airbag.
The two don't mix.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Why is that? *NM*
grant - Saturday, 5 October, 2013, at 8:12:18 am
Grant

Re: Why is that?
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 5 October, 2013, at 10:06:37 am
Airbags are designed to catch a forward-moving upper body.
The 3-point safety belt allows quite a bit of forward movement before it catches and then by stretching.
If the torso is immobilized with a 5 or 6-point harness the only thing that moves in a collision is the head, which with a helmet on is a very large target.
Depending on the position of the airbag (adjustable steering wheel) it can catch on the lower front part of the helmet and snap the head back and could break the neck.
There have been quite a few fatalities both on the streets and on the track with 5/6-point harnesses and airbags.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

So have you disabled your airbags?
grant - Saturday, 5 October, 2013, at 11:59:51 am
Or do you track the car with 3-pointers?

Grant

I unplug ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 5 October, 2013, at 9:47:52 pm
... and remove my steering wheel airbag when I use the 5-point harness .
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

and pull the plug, after disconnecting the battery and letting it discharge completely?

I've never seen that. Ever.

Grant

Grant

I don't question Pedro's expertise, but I have also never seen that, and I have seen a zillion street/track cars on track with harnesses, race seat, and airbag.

It seems to me that harnesses keep you much further away from the airbag (compared to street belts) so your contact with an airbag would be lessened, and that doesn't imply to me that the airbag would "strike" you more.
Because you don't see it done...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 10 October, 2013, at 12:48:32 pm
... it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.
It's a hassle and then you need to reset your airbag light afterwards.
The fact that you stated that because your torso is immobilized and only your head is left moving is why you should do it (remove/deactivate the airbag).
A forward moving head wearing a helmet can be easily snapped back by the force of the airbag that was designed to hold off a forward moving torso (with the head attached).
Why do you think, aside from weight savings that racecars don't have airbags? They have a much higher incidence of frontal crashes than street cars.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

But if you are wearing a HANS...
grant - Thursday, 10 October, 2013, at 12:54:23 pm
doesnt that keep your head back?

It was the reset and time (every track event) that made me want to double check.

I'm still nto convinced that:

1. a HANS doesnt minimize the danger you point out
2. there is not a counter-argument that the airbag will protect you under some circumstances, while potentially hurting you under others.

But i'm obviously very interested in the various facts, theorys etc.

At the moment this sways me to have a HANS but keep 3-point belts and airbags. Those things work!

Grant

Grant

The HANS Device...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 10 October, 2013, at 2:20:34 pm
... limits the forward movement of the head to a point, but the problem is not the forward movement, but the sudden kickback when the airbag hits the helmet's front lower edge (chin).
If you're constantly tracking it, let the airbag light shine on!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login