Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A couple of data points about the 981
MikenOH - Friday, 18 October, 2013, at 2:57:03 pm
Found this on a thread on P9 and included info about the thermal management system on the 981 and how oil temps are handled when using Sport/Sport+ vs. normal mode; interesting read:
[www.planet-9.com]

Next, I had a set of Pagid RS29 yellows installed a few weeks back and for at least street duty, they stop the car without drama when cold and aren't nearly as loud as Carbotech XP10s; they dust way less than stock also. We'll see how they are on the track at VIR in a couple of weeks.

Finally, I had my first oil change done at 6500 miles ( changed over to Castrol Edge 5W-40) and when I got the car back it was down a bar ( .45 Qt) on the oil level display.
After checking on various surfaces to make sure it was indeed down, I decided to add oil in very small increments to get it back to the full level.
I added 4 oz. and checked--it was at the full level; checked on several surfaces and still got the same full measurement.
So, based on that experience, if you top up, it would make sense to do it in very small increments to avoid a potential overfill.
Going from a 986 to 987 w/o an oil dip stick, I have the garage (no more dyi) fill it low on purpose and I top it off. w/o a dip stick there is no way to see if the mechanic accidental overfilled. I had my oil changed last month, 3rd time at the same place, they specialize in 911s, but work on any Porsche. I reminded them of leaving it low and they said they never fill it full on the new non-dip stick cars for just that reason.
Slight underfill has been my experience, too.
Laz - Friday, 18 October, 2013, at 3:48:02 pm
As I've mentioned before, there seems to be a cold single lifter noise when the oil is down just one increment.
Does having a dipstick or not really matter if one is supposed to check the oil when the motor's hot and given a couple moments after shut-off to let the oil settle down?
That's not the right way to do it...
MarcW - Saturday, 19 October, 2013, at 11:43:30 am
Bobtesa
Going from a 986 to 987 w/o an oil dip stick, I have the garage (no more dyi) fill it low on purpose and I top it off. w/o a dip stick there is no way to see if the mechanic accidental overfilled. I had my oil changed last month, 3rd time at the same place, they specialize in 911s, but work on any Porsche. I reminded them of leaving it low and they said they never fill it full on the new non-dip stick cars for just that reason.

There is a drain temp min, a drain time (DFI engines one hour, but an overnight (12 hour) drain time is given too), and then a specific amount of oil is added and the level verified to ensure the e-oil level system agrees with the known amount of oil put into the engine.

While it is unlikely there'll be a problem with the e-oil level system one hopes if there is the shop will realize this rather than sending the car out with too little oil because the e-oil level system reports "full" due to some failure mode.
Thanks. Will check the link shortly.
Laz - Friday, 18 October, 2013, at 3:43:28 pm
Just today I decided to go with 7500 mile intervals. 5000 seems excessive for a "normal use" / highway driven car with full synthetic, but I'm not comfortable with the 10k factory interval either. The first change was done at ≈2.5k, then right after the big road trip at ≈12.5k (that's with 8300 miles with lots and lots of 6th gear driving,) and at ≈20k. While it's in warranty, I'm having the dealer do everything but tire changes, so it'll be getting Mobil 1 0-40. The idea is, should a warranty issue arise, there will be much less doubt as to who's responsible. Castrol 5-40 appeals to me for use after the warranty is up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login