Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Whining noise cured with wheel bearings..!
marty - Thursday, 24 October, 2013, at 10:23:31 am
I have just finished fitting new front wheel bearings to my'99 Box. What an arm aching job, even with a four foot extension tube!

After I removed the brake caliper the failed bearing was clearly audible when you spun the hub. Only one side had failed as I suspected, but I changed both sides anyway.

I pulled the wheel carrier off with a slide hammer. Even after a good heating with a blow torch, five of the bearing retainer plate screws sheared off and I had to have the broken pins spark eroded and re-tapped. They messed up one M8 hole so I had to tap it M10 myself and drill the hole to suit in the retainer plate.

The old bearings were a right b%*ch to pull out with my bearing puller kit. I froze the new ones prior to fitting and they slid in a treat with a bit of WD40. What a relief!

I fitted new locking bearing nuts and set the torque with my body weight x a measured distance on the socket extension.

On the test drive the noise has gone so I have a big smile, bruised knees and aching arms!
Sounds like a nightmare-ish job. Glad it fixed your problem! *NM*
grant - Thursday, 24 October, 2013, at 11:23:45 am
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Whining noise cured with wheel bearings..!
marty - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 5:44:25 am
Thanks Grant. Hopefully by the time the rears need changing, I'll have forgotten what a pain it was to do the fronts!

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
Sometimes it's relatively easy, often not
Boxsterra - Saturday, 26 October, 2013, at 12:25:49 pm
I've done a bunch of Boxster wheel bearing replacements. Occasionally it's easy but usually it's on an old car and the bearing is practically fused to everything it touches. In the end the replacement is so worth it.

I wouldn't recommend using WD-40. I have no idea what happens to it when it heats up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login