Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
IMS question ?
Ozzy 79 - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 10:44:07 am
I have a 2000 base boxster with 94,000 miles, and I will be doing a flywheel and clutch change sometime this winter. I also am going to do a IMSB change with Pedros DOF, my question is regarding the bearing. Would you guys do a stock bearing from Pedro and remove the seals or would you recommend a ceramic bearing with removed seals. I am on a buget and want to do the best job I can with limited funds, I really love the boxster and am planning to keep it a long time.
IMS answer ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 11:07:04 am
... I'm still surprised how confused people are out there regarding the different alternatives for the IMSB.
BTW, welcome to the board, Ozzy 79.

The Direct Oil Feed (DOF) is an oiling kit for ANY IMS bearing.
There is no "stock bearing from Pedro".
We can supply any bearing you desire, if you want to replace it.
You can get from us a steel or a ceramic bearing in single or double row version, depending on your particular car.

In the OP's case, a 2000 base Boxster, it could be either single or dual row, since Porsche supplied both during that model year.
Once it's determined which bearing is installed you can order the corresponding replacement bearing from us.
Our DOF Kit is complete and works with either bearing since it includes a spacer for each, the single or the double row bearing.
The only note is that if you recently installed an LNE ceramic bearing and you want to keep it in place and just add the DOF to extend its life, then you need to let us know so that we ship you the correct version of flange that's made to fit the LNE's bearing support shaft.

If anyone has questions, feel free to call me at any time. I'll be happy to shed some light on the issue.
Happy DOF'ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: IMS answer ...
Ozzy 79 - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 2:48:06 pm
Pedro,
Thanks for the warm welcome, what would be your advice in my case with 94,000 mile on a stock bearing. Would you change the ims bearing and do the dof, or just do the dof install. I have had the boxster a little over 2 years and have changed the oil with Mobil 1 0-40 every 5,000 miles with oil filter. I installed LN oil filter adapter and have used K&N oil filter also installed magnetic drain plug. There have been no visible signs of metal on plug or in filter at each oil change. Also no signs of oil leaks.
With an OEM bearing ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 5:27:15 pm
... with almost 100,000 miles I would recommend replacing the IMS bearing when you do the DOF install.
You can go with another all steel bearing which is quite economical or you can choose the ceramic type.
Either way you can't go wrong.
A new bearing guarantees a fresh start.
You won't know the real condition of a bearing until you disassemble it.
You can then inspect the condition of the rolling surfaces (balls and races) which may have started to show micro pits.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: With an OEM bearing ...
Ozzy 79 - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 6:25:04 pm
Pedro,
Thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am going to take your advice and use the DOF and put in a new ims bearing.
.. is sufficient with DOF. So go for the least expensive one and you'll have another 94k worry free. Or at least the IMS will no longer be the weak link :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
gotta consider the odds and the spread.

Grant

Grant

... it's self explanatory.

[www.youtube.com]

Happy DOF'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Was that the LN bearing you showed? *NM*
grant - Monday, 28 October, 2013, at 7:13:33 pm
Grant

Yes *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 28 October, 2013, at 9:12:46 pm
Pedro Bonilla

Wow that's amazing. I was under the impression that the ceramic bearings didn't need much lubrication. I replace my IMS and mine was nearly perfect after 12 years and 50k miles. The seals were intact, but it was seeping oil from the seal.

The only thing you aren't factoring is the install of the LN IMS. It may not have been done right. then again Even after reading much praise about the shop I selected I'm still not comfortable they did great work. If I were to do it all over again I'd leave it alone and just drive the car until the wheels fall off. There are too many variables in the success of the install. If I get 50k miles out of my LN IMS I'll be happy as that'll be 10-15 years for me.

Do the ceramic bearings flake like the SS bearings? would one see them in the oil pan or filter?
Re: I replaced mine at about 160k miles - minimal wear
moresquirt - Monday, 28 October, 2013, at 8:28:18 pm
Wow!! Thats great info and example Pedro ,now if u could pull a 45 k ceramic bearing that had DOF from the start to compare that showed no wear u are going to have a really busy shipping dept
Do u know any authorized Porsche private shops in Ontario Canada that could do this job.I called one and they never herd of the unit and even suggested not to do it or any IMS fix as they dont believe it to be a problem.
Personally i believe it to be a problem or there wouldent be a law suit .Would love to be able to drive down and have u do the job but thats just not possible for me.i even called porsch dealer and they dont do anything unless stock so no help there.
I would ask our Toronto/Ontario residents...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 28 October, 2013, at 9:23:45 pm
... If they can recommend a shop for you.
Any shop that has done an IMS bearing replacement can install the DOF.
But it would be my pleasure to install it if you take the short and warm drive down to SoFla winking smiley
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

There's an indy in Waterloo who has done IMS bearing replacements for a few years.
Crooster - Tuesday, 29 October, 2013, at 6:54:47 am
Is that Furtmair or German Autotech?
German Autotech.
m4240z - Monday, 28 October, 2013, at 10:48:22 pm
Try s&s motors on Queen East in Toronto. Pm me for more info if you want.
moresquirt - Wednesday, 30 October, 2013, at 3:56:07 pm
Thx,will cheak them out when i am down in the city (I live in Muskoka,Ont)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login