Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
986 17" narrow rear winter tires?
MogulBoy - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 6:23:18 am
Has anyone out there got an image of a 986 running the optional narrow rear tires?

I note that the current reccomendation is the Continental WinterContact TS 830P 225/45 R17 94V XL (note that this isn't N-rated but it is the officially approved option).

source: [www.porsche.com]

I have run the default/standard width 255/40R R17 for the past 12 seasons but have often thought that it might be fun to try the narrower ones just to see if they do give more traction when it really snows. They are also a bit cheaper so it wouln't matter too much if they wore out that bit quicker. Plus, an added benefit might be that when they are worn down a bit, the boost to handling balance might be worth 50bhp or so! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2013 06:24AM by MogulBoy. (view changes)
I have not run those, but
grant - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 12:39:20 pm
1.) i had a freind who ran 225/45-17 regular rears on his 2002S. Fine. More tendency to oversteer of course in dry.

2.) i always run a narrower taller winter tire on all my cars

3) i have the 16" set on my boxster. Works better.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Would like to see a photo...
MogulBoy - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 4:44:43 pm
..of those tires on the back of your friend's S?

I'm just curious to see if a 225 tire appears to be at all 'stretched' to fit the 8.5 rear. I'm not considering this to achieve a particular look but I do appreciate that the regular 255s can give a welcome amount of rim protection..

I will report back if/when I do it.
I found one reasonable non-Porsche example...
MogulBoy - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 9:25:14 am
at this link.

[www.mbclub.co.uk]

Doesn't look too stretched, and I didn't expect that it would given that it is one of the Porsche reccomendations for winter use so I've now decided that I'm going to go for it... It's a bit early or all this but bring on the snow!
That car was sold ages ago, sorry *NM*
grant - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 7:10:03 pm
Grant

As promised...

I've run winters in the regular 255/40's profile for the past 10 seasons but fancied a change.. The Conti's aren't 'N' rated but they are the Porsche recommended narrow option winter tyres on the 986.

They look fine on the 8.5J rim to my eyes (i.e. not too stretched) but you can't disguise the fact that they are 30mm narrower per side.

Looking forward to feeling a virtual increase in HP at the rear wheels! ;-)

P.S. The comparison shot shows the PS2 N3
Did you also go narrower up front to balance the handling in the slick stuff?

I hope so.

Grant

Grant

Narrower fronts?
MogulBoy - Tuesday, 5 November, 2013, at 12:00:32 pm
I follow what your saying but Porsche haven't seen fit to homologate narrower fronts so I'm obliged to stick with the 205/50 R17s fronts (on the 7J rims) to keep on the right side of local laws (Switzerland) that require us run homologated sizes.

I'm looking forward to a slight change in handling balance though ;-) and expect that the breakaway would be more progressive if anything.

My motivation here for giving these a spin is that even when I had new 255 winter rubber on, I found that traction could be an issue when setting-off and once or twice a year I found myself commuting in falling snow and stop start traffic. My home is a couple of hundred meters higher than the plain around here and I've had some shaky moments.

[www.porsche.com]
We have no such restrictions. I pick whatever size i want.
grant - Tuesday, 5 November, 2013, at 12:13:14 pm
I was just pointing out that you moved the car from mild understeer to, likely, neutral. That may be a good thing in fact. I run front tires that are 20mm wider than stock and retain the stock rears, for just this reason (mostly track related).

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login