Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Shift cable adventure
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 9:53:53 am
Just a week ago I encountered a problem I haven't seen mentioned on the board. I was going to meet my wife for dinner, and about a block away from the restaurant there was a loud CLUNK as I shifted from first to second. As I let the clutch up, the car behaved as if it were in neutral. I depressed the clutch again and found that the shift pattern was gone. I could move the shift lever easily fore and aft, but there was no movement possible from left to right. With some experimentation I was able to find a high forward gear, could have been third or fourth, and feather the clutch to pull into the restaurant parking lot. The car was towed to the dealer the next morning. It turns out the problem was a broken shift cable. I got the car back last night, and it's fine. The dealer even washed the car and vacuumed the interior.

I'm very fortunate. The car is under warranty until next April 29. It's supposed to snow here in Minneapolis tomorrow, and I'll be parking the car until April, I would guess. We drove the car as far north as the Canadian border in September with the local Porsche club. Good thing it didn't break then.
Weird...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 4:16:02 pm
... I've never seen a broken shift cable on any Boxster or cayman.
I've seen the ball joints on the transmission levers come out of their socket, but never a broken cable.
Happy Porsche'ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
a cable going, until now.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Weird...
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Thursday, 21 November, 2013, at 11:38:50 am
If you haven't heard of it, Pedro, then it really is weird. I have to say the Porsche dealer handled it as just a routine matter. I'm just very glad it happened where it did and when it did. There has been a lot of discussion on the board in the past about extended warranties, but given the lack of any problem reports on the engine in the 987.2, I'm going to go without a warranty when the factory warranty is up next April.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login