Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I could not believe it:
Howard Goodwin - Monday, 10 February, 2014, at 3:36:04 pm
I am not new to cars but this is my first Boxster. (97 140 thou miles).
Thanks to this fine board, I was able to fix the problems that seem normal to a car of this age. Windows, Coolant tank, heater flap gasket, front motor mount, ignition switch, drain holes.
Thought I was winning ....All of a sudden it developed tapping and missing in the Engine. Thought for sure that I had a valve problem. What a Bummer ! I thinking, cam chain,center chain tension-er, worn rocker, Not pleasant at all.
Up on my new lift, and decided to pull the spark plugs and see which cylinder was upset....Holy Mackerel....Number 3 plug had no gap...zero....however if you examine it closely it did have gap of about .040....shake it and the gap would disappear..Can you believe the porcelain was loose in the steel housing? can I be this lucky?....Yep, new plugs and the Boxster hums just fine again. I just love when a plan comes together....BTW,,,the tapping that was heard was the porcelain rattling, as a result of compression/vacuum in the cylinder..It now has permanent resident in my" you ain't going to believe it box". Happy Boxstering....
Re: I could not believe it:
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 10 February, 2014, at 4:20:03 pm
Howard, you should go out and buy a lottery ticket - actually, make it two - one for me too.

That sure was a lucky break that you caught it before it came loose and did some serious damage.

Any idea how old and how many miles on the plugs?
Re: I could not believe it:
Howard Goodwin - Monday, 10 February, 2014, at 4:51:10 pm
Hi Guenter:
Thanks for your interest.
No idea on age/miles on plugs...but I can say they did not look very old....the electrodes were scooted but not disfigured or showed signs of burnt. In fact I thought of just replacing the one plug......Thought better of it and replaced then all with the porcelain type. I think they were only $2.85 ea. Next project is a suspected vacuum leak. I think I will start a new thread about it however, it might get more attention. I could use some experienced advice....smile.
Take care.
an extended tip plug. The extended tip helps the plug to run hot and clean at low engine speeds and run cool and clean at high engine speeds.
Me too.....smile....I will report
Howard
Nice! Good perseverence *NM*
grant - Wednesday, 12 February, 2014, at 10:16:52 am
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login