Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
build a 2015 Porsche now...
Harvey in FL - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 4:27:13 pm
[www.porsche.com]

I have spent a great time driving my 911, so in order to become faster around Sebring (per Pedro), I am building a new Cayman S. As soon as the dealer get an allocation, I will be ordering a car. smiling bouncing smiley

My go fast option are: Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV), Poppelkupplung (PDK), Sport Chrono Package, Sport Suspension, Sport Seats Plus, and
Sport Design Steering Wheel.

BTW: This will be my very first car with an automatic tranny.
It's not an automatic! ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 4:42:17 pm
... according to Porsche, the Doppelkupplung is a dual-clutch manual with paddles (but if you want it can select the gear for you - which in my book makes it an automatic).
Happy Configuring,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
To a kid (me) who grew up watching Lotus and Chaparelles race on Saturdays while I sat on the couch air shifting and making BrrrrrrrppppBRRGRRFPPPP! noises, um.... well..... .they are both automatics. Sorry. Paddle shifters, dual go-fasters, clutch pizzas..... I don't care how you define it or what ingredients are in that gear cake, they are automatics.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 11:59AM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 12:09PM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: build a 2015 Porsche now...
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 5:36:13 pm
Harvey in FL
[www.porsche.com]

I have spent a great time driving my 911, so in order to become faster around Sebring (per Pedro), I am building a new Cayman S. As soon as the dealer get an allocation, I will be ordering a car. smiling bouncing smiley

My go fast option are: Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV), Poppelkupplung (PDK), Sport Chrono Package, Sport Suspension, Sport Seats Plus, and
Sport Design Steering Wheel.

BTW: This will be my very first car with an automatic tranny.

Sounds like a terrific setup Harvey. But if you're going to go with the automatic, you're going to have to get Pedro's grandson to teach you how to say Porsche Doppelkupplung properly. Right Pedro? winking smiley

You will love the Sport Suspension and the Sports Seats Plus to hold you in place while your taking the corners faster than what you're used to now.

If I might make one suggestion. If you get the chance before you order it, take a Cayman with PDK for a test drive (I know twisties are hard to come by in Florida - maybe some on-off ramps on I-75?) and see how you like it. I know it's a fantastic piece of engineering, but I just didn't feel connected to the car when I drove the Cayman with PDK on the track. Make sure it's what you really want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 05:40PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
......hmmmmm sounds like
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 6:18:10 pm
Harvey had this guy sitting on his shoulder while playing with the configurator. winking smiley

Re: ......hmmmmm sounds like
Harvey in FL - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 7:34:09 pm
Guenter in Ontario
Harvey had this guy sitting on his shoulder while playing with the configurator. winking smiley
/quote]

Actually, he configured the car for me and guaranteed it would be faster than a 991 C2 and I had to pay him an hour's labor. Not really. I am getting much better with heal and toe (H&T) in my 911; but, I got a ride in an instructor's 911 with PDK and was amazed as the tranny shifted up and down on the track. So, without H&T, I can concentrate on braking and accelerating which will make me faster thru the turns. And besides, more important, Pedro said his next car will have PDK. Doesn't that tell us all something. And 991 GT3's only come with PDK.

And yes, I must agree with you, I will miss driving a manual tranny.
Re: ......hmmmmm sounds like
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 10:57:46 pm
I know that you'll love the way the Cayman handles. Pedro is probably right, that if your ultimate goal is the quickest lap at the track, PDK is the way to go.

My priorities are different. I need to feel at one with the car to enjoy driving. Nice that Porsche gives us the choice.

Exciting times for you, for sure.

Has your dealer sold all the cars from their 2014 alotment? If it's the same as last year, 2015 production will start beginning June.
mdgallaugher - Wednesday, 12 March, 2014, at 2:35:59 pm
I have had several very experienced drivers say they cannot beat the PDK.
It's quicker than you and knows what you want to do before you do.

Mr Mike (Alpharetta, GA)
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 12 March, 2014, at 4:28:33 pm
I think Harvey is doing it right. His goal is track time, others have different goals with their Boxsters (coupe or cabriolet). For fastest track times a coupe (rigidity), balance (mid-engine), and PDK (quickest shifts) sound like the best formula. For me, no more DE, country driving is not as intense, so the third pedal adds too the old time driving experience.

I'd only suggest one other thing - weight. Harvey, are you going to keep your 911? if so and you are still in PCA, then why not think about a different car? Lotus at 1,900 pounds? (Is this sacrilegious on the board?) In the few DEs I was in there were some non-Porsches. I think this is allowed if you have more than one car.
Harvey in FL - Thursday, 13 March, 2014, at 12:07:45 pm
Bobtesa
I'd only suggest one other thing - weight. Harvey, are you going to keep your 911? if so and you are still in PCA, then why not think about a different car? Lotus at 1,900 pounds? (Is this sacrilegious on the board?) In the few DEs I was in there were some non-Porsches. I think this is allowed if you have more than one car.

Thanks for your comments. I must agree with what you are saying; however, at my age I don't need or want a dedicated track car. Believe me, I should have started to do track days 15 years ago and ten years ago I would probably have had a dedicated track car then and now. I just started track days about three year ago and am having lots of fun doing so. I love a challenge and I believe I can do a little better on the track with a car that handles better with the engine in the correct place. Pedro has told me this a thousands times and maybe it is sinking in.

BTW: A few years ago I drove a friends Lotus with an added engine air vent on the top of the front window (supper charges or something) and it was like driving a go cart on steroids. Where ever you pointed it, it would go there. I remember it came with R888 tires as standard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login