Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Just a quick recap: May 5 at 7:44pm, I was stopped at a stop light and run into from behind by another vehicle when the light changed and I guess I didn't move the car fast enough. (The other driver I'm sure was texting and was looking down at his phone when the light changed and he just by habit started the car moving forward. Easy to do with an automatic.)

Anyhow, the next day I took the car to the local Porsche dealer to determine the extent of any damage beyond sheet metal (or plastic) and paint.

Car came out relatively unscathed. Dealer techs found no other damage under the bumper cover and exhaust position looked factory. The body shop determined just the rear bumper cover needed to be refinished and repainted.

Finally got the "OK" from the other driver's insurance to proceed with the repairs. Estimate for total cost was $881.92. I received a check for this amount on the 21st of May.

Yesterday the dealer SM called to let me know the bumper was painted and back on the car.

I can't pick the car up just yet as the other insurance company wants someone to inspect the car so I will leave the car parked at the dealer over the weekend and hopefully it will get inspected Monday. If so then I show up at the dealer and sign the back of the check and give it to the SM. Done.

Checked the car out today. Looks very good. Bumper cover fit is as good as it was before the accident, and it was "perfect" before. All bumper cover fits, gaps and spoiler fit and gaps just fine.

Test drove the car. Wanted to try out the "new" (used) converters. Nice. No more rattle/buzzing. Before the car sounded like a tin shed in a 8.0 earthquake. Now quiet.

Engine runs just fine too. Probably my imagination but it feels a bit peppier. Hope so.

Back at the dealer after the test ride I manually raised the spoiler. It went up with no drama and was nice quiet -- no straining noises from the hardware -- and even and aligned. While up no excessive play or any sign of anything amiss. Lowered just fine too with no straining noises.

Kind of hard to leave it the car looks so nice, and is almost like new again what with the quiet converters and a good washing.

But another couple of days is not the end of the world.

Oh, SM called me earlier this week and said the body shop wanted the car at its location for a while to color match the bumper cover paint. I said sure. Seems like what is done is the body shop has a machine of some kind that images the car and the paint color and comes up with a blending formula or something that allows the paint shop to get the paint match as close as possible. If the shop just mixed the paint as per the paint code or codes while it would match a new car's paint it would not match one with over 12 years of exposure to the elements.

Ok by me that the body shop have access to the car so the car was taken the shop and brought back after just a few hours. As best I can tell the paint matching is perfect. Lapis Blue I learned the last time is a pretty good paint color to have as it does not fade or change much over time.

Now all I have to wait for is the inspection.

After I get the car back I will know how many days of loss of use of vehicle to ask for and will submit that to the insurance company. I suspect it will balk which is why I have already filed a complaint against it with the California Department of Insurance to have this in the pipeline just in case. I can cancel the complaint when the other insurance company comes through. Come the 6th of June it will be 30 days and at $50/day that works out to $1500.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login