Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Just finished reading your TPMS article in Provinz. In the article it says you have to change the sensor every time the tire is mounted. Why would that be necessary with the dTPMS (like Porsche uses) being mounted in the valve stem?

I thought that people have bought and had new tires mounted without replacing the sensors. The only time I've heard of TPMS failing is when sensor batteries died.
... the batteries are not replaceable in the TPMS sensors it is recommended that when you replace tire's you also replace the sensors.
Obviously, if you replace tires yearly you can probably reuse the sensors.
The batteries in the TPMS sensors average about 36 months.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Because ...
db997S - 9 years ago
I'm sure I just Jinx myself, but my car is more than 6 months old and my TPMS sensors are still the originals. This makes me happy because I've heard new sensors are not cheap, and the TPMS function is one of my favorites. My OBC is always turned to the TPMS readout. I'll be sad when they go and my tires are not ready for replacement.
db997S
I'm sure I just Jinx myself, but my car is more than 6 months old and my TPMS sensors are still the originals. This makes me happy because I've heard new sensors are not cheap, and the TPMS function is one of my favorites. My OBC is always turned to the TPMS readout. I'll be sad when they go and my tires are not ready for replacement.

How did you get a new 997S just six months ago? winking smiley
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... the batteries are not replaceable in the TPMS sensors it is recommended that when you replace tire's you also replace the sensors.
Obviously, if you replace tires yearly you can probably reuse the sensors.
The batteries in the TPMS sensors average about 36 months.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

There seems to be a pretty wide range of longevity for those sensor batteries. Several people I know have just, in the last year, had to replace theirs (original) on an '06 997 and an '07 987. That indicates about 72+ months for the sensor batteries.

I guess it depends on how often you need new tires. Obviously, it makes more sense to replace the sensors when having new tires installed.

Is their any way of checking roughly how much battery life is left? That would really provide useful information when purchasing new tires.

Good article by the way. I always look forward to your tech tips in my monthly Provinz.
... if you like the Tech Articles, let the Provinz Editor know.
He will keep publishing them if he knows his readers want them.

With the TPMS batteries, 36 months is what the manufacturers kind of guarantee.
I know they last longer than that.
It's like when Porsche says that you need to replace the poly-ribbed belt every 60,000 miles (100,000 Km) when they actually last twice that time.
(Don't ask me how I know).

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Pedro (Weston, FL)

In this case the editor is a "she" and she races a 911 in vintage events! But I also enjoy your articles and will be sure to let HER know! ;-)

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
... with a gender-neutral meaning.
Probably 40 to 50% of the PCA Editors are ladies.
I meant no disrespect.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Crooster
Pedro (Weston, FL)

In this case the editor is a "she" and she races a 911 in vintage events! But I also enjoy your articles and will be sure to let HER know! ;-)

Pedro Bonilla

in the US the engine -- in a stock vehicle -- underwent a test run on a closed track for 100,000 miles. All I believe is allowed to be done during test is engine oil/filter can be replaced. However, nothing else can be done. Thus things like: engine air filter, fuel filter, plugs, and no pumps or serpentine, v- or timing belts can be replaced. Tires can be replaced as they wear down to the wear bars but no suspension or steering or drivetrain work can be done.

So the Boxster engine at least one example did run for 100K miles with the same belt. I would expect a number of privately owned cars could manage the same.

The problem is for the subset of cars that due to how the cars are driven and used, or where the cars are driven and used, would not make it to this 100K miles with the belt intact.

BTW, I went almost 100K miles on a set of plugs in my Boxster. I just lost track of time and miles. But I would not repeat this and I would not advise anyone else to try to get 100K miles from his engine's spark plugs, unless the automaker specifies that is the change interval.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login