Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I don't know in which year Porsche made the (dumb) decision to eliminate the oil dip stick, but my '08 Boxster and those beyond lack this essential, old time, and wonderful measuring tool. I had tires replace last year, but not the tpms components in the wheels which then died, so now I can not get an oil level reading on the dash. Has anyone figured out how to get an oil level reading on the dash when tmps is not functioning? (For those of you who have no experienced this, when tpms is not functioning, it brings up a warning light which supersedes the oil level reading.)

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Yipes!
MikenOH - 9 years ago
I wonder if the oil level can be read over an OBD channel?
IIRC, the dealer can determine an overfill level by using the Porsche ECU connection device--at least on the 981.
BTW, what would 4 TPMS units run?
Why dumb?
jlegelis - 9 years ago
>> I don't know in which year Porsche made the (dumb) decision to eliminate the oil dip stick

I hear this sentiment often expressed, but am at a loss to understand. Should we still use a dipstick to check the level in the fuel tank, or a thermometer to check the coolant temp? I appreciate electronically checking the oil each and every time I start the engine. Perhaps its because it represents one-less mechanical connection to the car?
it is a critical measurement for the car and (as the original poster noted) the measurement can be superceded by something else. I have no problem with an electroninc or computerized level checking device. I object to it being exclusive and I further object to it being overridden for any reason.

Your examples are the gas tank and coolant. Well, the gas tank is largely an elctromechanical device and it is almost alwyas an exclusive guage that is not overridden by something else. Same with the coolant.

In the case of coolant, the pressure in the tank prohibits another kind of testing in any event. Plus, there are obvious warning signs before catastrophic breakdown.

I have major problems with cars today substituting computers for for no goo reason. There is no good reason for computerized rain sensing wipers in stead of manual intermittent wipers. There is no reason for computer sensors to dim or block mirrors. There is no reason that computer sensors should not be controllable by owners.
Agree that it's silly to be dependent on TPMS, but (as in my BMW), but I would argue that real oil-level time monitoring is worlds better than a static dipstick.

In any case, no sense being upset at (Porsche's) decisions one can't control. While not happy about a host of recent trends and innovations, I prefer to embrace technology's progress, rather than be grumpy about it.

As a comparison, I've recently driven a 356 which contains automatic nothing. While lovely in a historical sense, it was absurd (dangerously so) from any dynamic perspective (handling, acceleration, etc). I cast my vote for progress over tradition... YMMV.
I embrace progress as much as anyone. I love antilock brakes, traction control (controlled properly), airbags and tire monitors. All good things.

But I reject technology for technology sake. The BMW i-drive is just overkill. I think that technology which forces you to use it instead of someting that has worked intuitively forever is dumb.

I think that electronic climate control with separate controls for each passenger in a two seat car is just dumb. One control for 16 sqaure feet (or whatever) is plenty and the other one will make no difference.

To give another concrete example. My old SAAB had electronic motors to select zones for defrost, vent, or heat in order to direct the airflow to the top, middle or bottom. Unfortunately, the torque needed to move the various doors frequently broke the mechanism. I had to retrofit a forged aluminium piece to cure the problem. My other SAAB had a manual lever which selected the zone. There was nothing to break, it was easy to make the selection and in the unlikely event that anything broke it was simple to fix. So why did SAAB add all the weight and technology and breakable parts to make the function electronic? Because people liked the idea of pressing a button vs turning a knob or pulling a lever. That is dumb engineering in my view. It is technology for the sake of technology.
>> The BMW i-drive is just overkill
>> My old SAAB had electronic motors to select zones

Perhaps its' just poorly designed technology that's the issue?
jlegelis
>> The BMW i-drive is just overkill
>> My old SAAB had electronic motors to select zones

Perhaps its' just poorly designed technology that's the issue?

It may be poorly designed technology. It just seems like iDrive and similar all-in-one controls just add unnecessary complexity and even worse, take your attention away from what is important (in this case, driving the car - which includes watching the road and being aware of what's going on around you.)

With something like iDrive, you have to take your attention off the road to focus on the screen, go through some menus to make your selection to make changes.

I can turn on and adjust my stereo and climate control, adjust seat heating / cooling, turn Sport mod on/off and more, all without having to take my eyes off the road. To me, that's good driving ergonomics.

Unfortunately, most modern cars are turning into entertainment systems on wheels. No wonder new cars need sensors to tell the driving he/she is about to run into a truck that's in front of them. Where are the driver's eyes and attention focusing?
could not have said it better myself.
jlegelis
In any case, no sense being upset at (Porsche's) decisions one can't control.

... because I've installed several dipsticks on later model 986s.
The early 986s had the best of both worlds: Dipstick plus electronic gauge for oil.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Why dumb?
boxsterd - 9 years ago
I'm not sure I would call it dumb but I prefer having the dipstick.
The reason is the electronic oil level has a specific limit in its range.
For example, if you "overfill" the oil, it can't tell you just how bad it is, whereas with a dipstick you get a better sense of the "overfill".
In that sense the dipstick gives you more information.
I've checked the dipstick after seeing all the bars lit and the dipstick told me not to worry whereas if I only had the electronic level I wouldn't know.
I like the extra information the dipstick gives me.
Sometimes analog is better than digital!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2015 04:49PM by boxsterd. (view changes)
Got the answer
Bobtesa - 9 years ago
Pretty much a no brainer and what I expected. My tech showed me how when I got the car this morning. Insert the key per usual, the warning signs come up, then toggle through the menu to "Oil" and get the reading. I should have figured this out myself, but I wasn't very concerned because I've learned after 30k (and 50k with my 1999) that I don't loose oil between oil changes. Not even a single drop on the floor under the car. Knock on wood as I hear some folks need to top up occasionally.
Or did i read too quickly?

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Warnings like low fuel, low oil pressure, tire pressure problem etc will supersede other (normal range) readings. As was mentioned earlier, you can get around it and still get your reading. The way you do it seems to vary by model year. My '06 always used to automatically give me an oil level reading after filling the tank. I always liked that feature. I believe the method of reading changed with the 987.5 and it's different again with the 981.
Grant, you may not have encountered this. It turns out that if the tpms sensors on my 987 do not work, then I can't as easily get an oil level reading prior to starting the car. To review:

If the tpms sensors work properly, then I insert the key, turn it to the first position, and wait for the oil level reading on the dash. (Then start the car assuming I have oil, or top it off if need be before traveling.)

However, if the tpms sensors are not functioning (they seem to last about 4 years), then when I try to get an oil level reading on the dash before starting, the reading is not immediately available. Rather a warning comes on about my tmps not working.

So, what I have learned is that to get an oil level reading, after the warming comes up, I toggle through the menu and can still get the oil level reading. Doable, and not a big deal, but with tpms working properly, it was just a bit easier.

As a side note, this is all related to decisions to, or not to replace the sensors (at about $150 a piece if memory serves me). I did not replace them, they went bad, so I live with a permanent tpms warning on my dash. The is, from turn on to turn off, the warning is there while I drive. I have gotten used to it. Will I replace the sensors in 2 years when I need to tires? I don't know. It is a nice feature, but for $600 added to the cost of new tires, it's a tough call. It's a wonder we ever got anywhere driving cars before tpms!
Bobtesa
As a side note, this is all related to decisions to, or not to replace the sensors (at about $150 a piece if memory serves me). I did not replace them, they went bad, so I live with a permanent tpms warning on my dash. The is, from turn on to turn off, the warning is there while I drive. I have gotten used to it. Will I replace the sensors in 2 years when I need to tires? I don't know. It is a nice feature, but for $600 added to the cost of new tires, it's a tough call. It's a wonder we ever got anywhere driving cars before tpms!

You can replace the TPMS sensors for about $55 each as I posted here earlier. Generally, the life span of the batteries seems to be about 6 - 7 years.
[pedrosboard.com]

Here's a link to the sensors.
[www.titantpms.com]
Guenter, yes, I recall your post when I wrote about this before, and I may do this with the next set of tires. At this time, even using the less expensive units, I would still need to have the tires taken off, remounted and balanced. So, I'll wait enjoy the lovely warning light for two more years.
Bobtesa
Guenter, yes, I recall your post when I wrote about this before, and I may do this with the next set of tires. At this time, even using the less expensive units, I would still need to have the tires taken off, remounted and balanced. So, I'll wait enjoy the lovely warning light for two more years.

Actually, in this case, a mechanic let the air out of the tires, broke the seal, reached in and replaced the sensor/valve stem unit and pumped up the tire, all for $100 labour to do all 4. No dismounting, remounting or balancing of tire required. Obviously, the ideal time to replace them is when new tires are being installed.

I didn't have TPMS on my 987 and wasn't that keen on having them in the future. I do have to admit, I've got used to having them on my 981 and now really appreciate them. I have always checked my tire pressures on a regular basis. Just with the TPMS, you can check them every time when you're about to head out or even during a drive/trip. If one of my tires developed a slow leak, I'm much more likely be aware of it quicker. Tires and brakes are important safety features. To me they're worth the extra margin of safety. To me, $200 - $300 over a 6 - 7 year span is money well spent considering the benefit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 02:03PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
I may need to look for some one to do that.

I agree with all you said. There are a lot of things you can display on the dash, but the only thing I had was tire pressure. There is something nice about knowing you have not developed a slow leak while driving. It maybe rare, but it is nice.
clients were either too ignorant or stupid (arguably both) to check tire pressures regularly [read: ever]. Ultimately they ended up with failures that sadly, yes, sometimes had catastrophic results. Of course somebody else always has to be responsible so they sued tire and car mfgs for their failings. Not wanting to be left holding the bag and rightly so, in turn they pushed for TPMS to be Federally mandated...
I agree with OP but at 61 years old perhaps my old school ways are fading spinning smiley sticking its tongue out But another example is putting a stupid passemger air bag sensor under a seat that if pushed all the way back to the firewall will warp and send a false reading. Hence Porsche charges $4,000 for repairing it.

Electronics are great if they work perfectly. An anolog dip stick or an on/off switch for the airbag have no chance of failure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login