Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My interior colour preference for seats, carpet doors has generally been something lighter than black. BMW was always good at keeping a black dash, instrument cluster and steering wheel, while allowing the rest of the interior to be another colour. That's possible with the 981 only if one is prepared to pony-up for the full-leather interior.

From what I've seen online, a beige or grey dash will reflect quite considerably in the windshield. I welcome comments from those with a grey or beige dash as to whether it's a problem (large or small) on a day-to-day basis.

Another question relates to PCM Navigation. I'm a big fan of built-in Nav - clearer sound, full integration with the stereo, a display in the instrument cluster, and it needn't be unplugged, removed, and stored every time I leave the car. But there are downsides - it's pricey as hell, updates aren't cheap, and unlike a garmin, routes can't be mapped online and then transferred to the GPS.

Are there any mounts out there that work well in the 981, to make a Garmin more convenient to install/remove, and power-up? If I get a 981, I plan on driving that car in new territory at LOT. winking smiley

Last - has anyone compared the standard stereo in the 981S with the 981S Bose? I don't really care much about big bass, but I DO like to hear all the instruments. And yes, in the twisties, the best music comes from the engine. But on long freeway drives, I enjoy a quality stereo.

Thanks, folks.
Roger987
My interior colour preference for seats, carpet doors has generally been something lighter than black. BMW was always good at keeping a black dash, instrument cluster and steering wheel, while allowing the rest of the interior to be another colour. That's possible with the 981 only if one is prepared to pony-up for the full-leather interior.

From what I've seen online, a beige or grey dash will reflect quite considerably in the windshield. I welcome comments from those with a grey or beige dash as to whether it's a problem (large or small) on a day-to-day basis.

Another question relates to PCM Navigation. I'm a big fan of built-in Nav - clearer sound, full integration with the stereo, a display in the instrument cluster, and it needn't be unplugged, removed, and stored every time I leave the car. But there are downsides - it's pricey as hell, updates aren't cheap, and unlike a garmin, routes can't be mapped online and then transferred to the GPS.

Are there any mounts out there that work well in the 981, to make a Garmin more convenient to install/remove, and power-up? If I get a 981, I plan on driving that car in new territory at LOT. winking smiley

Last - has anyone compared the standard stereo in the 981S with the 981S Bose? I don't really care much about big bass, but I DO like to hear all the instruments. And yes, in the twisties, the best music comes from the engine. But on long freeway drives, I enjoy a quality stereo.

Thanks, folks.

Just a couple of things to consider, Roger.

Light objects on the dash (or a light coloured dash) can be made almost invisible by wearing polarized sunglasses. If you have polarized sunglasses, try throwing (or gently placing cool smiley ) a map on the dash of your Audi and see how it works.

An update on the Garmin route planning. Sometime in the past few weeks this feature has stopped working. Apparently, browsers are gradually phasing out 3rd party apps. However, Garmin does have a free program called Base Camp that allows you to plan a route on your computer and then transfer it to your Garmin. I've tried it and it seems to work very well.

Here is one GPS mount, that I've been considering, made specifically for the 981. If you search the site, they show it available in 5 different interior matching colours.
[www.kudausa.com]
Guenter in Ontario
Roger987

Thanks, folks.

Just a couple of things to consider, Roger.

Light objects on the dash (or a light coloured dash) can be made almost invisible by wearing polarized sunglasses. If you have polarized sunglasses, try throwing (or gently placing cool smiley ) a map on the dash of your Audi and see how it works.

An update on the Garmin route planning. Sometime in the past few weeks this feature has stopped working. Apparently, browsers are gradually phasing out 3rd party apps. However, Garmin does have a free program called Base Camp that allows you to plan a route on your computer and then transfer it to your Garmin. I've tried it and it seems to work very well.

Here is one GPS mount, that I've been considering, made specifically for the 981. If you search the site, they show it available in 5 different interior matching colours.
[www.kudausa.com]

+1 on the polarized sun glasses--they make a big difference with glare off the dash.

We've got the base radio and I have no complaints about it as far a sound quality goes; if your hearing is mostly intact (unlike mine) you might try to find a comparison between the two. Not sure if the base unit has changed much since 2013 but if not a trip to a local deal would help clear that up.
reflection wise, or any other wise, at all, all these years and miles.

However, I too have read reports -- and SM's have told me too -- in some models the lighter dash colors are very reflective and can be a problem. All I can do is suggest you drive the car and see for yourself.
This is what got me wondering:

[www.youtube.com] at 2:57, 3:57, 4:44 and most of all at 10:26 where he specifically expresses concern regarding the luxor beige dash reflection.

The 981's windshield sits at a different angle than that of the 986, as does the dash. Hence, I intended my inquiry to be specific to the 981.

I agree, Mark, a test drive would help, assuming I can find a test-drivable 981 with a light dash.

In the meantime, as always, owners' experiences are helpful.
I have the luxor beige dash color and drove it today in the sunshine with the top down and had no bothersome reflection. I felt I had a worse refection in my 987 with a carbon fiber look dash in black/grey color. After having a black interior on my 987 I am quite enjoying the lighter interior color.

FYI. Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login