Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Had a multi-hundred mile journey as a passenger in my friend's 2015 base Carrera, and concluded the ride felt closer to the 981's PASM Sport setting, i.e. a bit jiggly. So, while PASM in normal mode makes for a comfortable ride, I would take the "dangers" of PASM's lessened ground clearance / suspension travel into greater consideration when configuring another purchase.
I think it's not the best comparison. If you want to be sure to get it right (for your tastes), you really need to drive the car model you're planning to buy with the 2 (or 3) options you're considering, back to back. Otherwise the different handling characteristics of different models could play too big a factor in a true comparison.
If I understand you correctly, Laz, the 981 with PASM in normal offers a smoother ride than does the 991 with standard suspension?

For those of us with less-than-smooth roads, then a PASM-equipped 981 would be desirable, in terms of comfort, but with a potential downside of scraping the front end on curbs, ramps etc?

In what circumstances have you found PASM's 10mm lowered ride height creates problems?
Laz, a supplementary - were both the 981 and 991 wearing tires of essentially the same sidewall height?
The fronts are identical, your 981S 19" rears have a sidewall of 106mm, the 911's are 100.

With identical fronts, and very close rears, the sidewall height likely isn't a big factor (Newer tires will, of course, have deeper treads, and that WILL make a smoother ride.)

I'm guessing the 991's suspension is somewhat stiffer, which would accord with BurgBoxster's favourite reviewers - Consumer Reports. grinning smiley

The 991, with even lower profile tires, would have a yet firmer ride.

Of course, Gman is right - a back to back test such as he suggests is best, in terms of comparing apples and apples.

But, as you said at the outset, yours was an apples to oranges comparison - the 981 PASM equipped car would seem to offer a smoother ride. And, for those of us who may have been (or may be) toying with a 991 v 981 choice, it's interesting and useful info. Thanks Laz

BTW, I also found this helpful, in considering the 991 v. 981 question:

[www.topgear.com]

A couple quotes:

"Here’s the operating procedure when driving a Boxster for the first time. 1) Approach driver’s door. 2) Wriggle down into low, low driving seat. 3) Fire up 3.4-litre boxer engine. 4) Drop roof. 5) Press Sport and Noisy Exhaust buttons. 6) Commence driving. 7) Negotiate first corner. 8) Immediately consider what to sell, steal or embezzle to have this in your life permanently."

"Jaguar benchmarked the 911 for performance,” noted the sage-like Paul Horrell at the end of our day testing the F-Type against the two Porsches. “And I’d say it’s succeeded in that. Problem is, it benchmarked the wrong Porsche…”
My car still had the original fronts (44k minus 3 winter seasons mileage) but in the last few thousand miles I've experienced maybe a bit of hydroplaning and hunting on road irregularities, and nicely enough, more of the classic road texture feed-through.
Somewhere on line you can find a graph of the two PASM settings. They are actually ranges with partial overlap, and the softest Normal is softer than the standard suspension.
Thanks for the link & quotes.
Excellent. In 20 years, when I might be ready to trade in my 9X1, there may be another great bargain awaiting me. winking smiley

In the meantime, I have to find a bank with a vault large enough to store all the money I've 'saved' on this one. grinning smiley
they're also changing the name to Jaguar?

Seems like a strange strategy. winking smiley
Oh, I saw that. Someone was trying to yank my chain. winking smiley

If Gary thinks Porsche is making bad electronics now, wait til it (as 'Jaguar') starts using electrics by the 'Prince of Darkness'.

True story - a couple years ago, driving my 987, I pulled into NAPA to price a set of rebuilt calipers for my Bimmer. Nearby was a TR6 - a car over which I was agog for most of my teen years.

I walked over for a closer look at the honest-to-god wood on the dash. But, oddly it looked a little hazy. You guessed it - smoke from behind the dash was now caressing the wood, and drifting up towards the windshield. I hustled into the store to alert the owner.

Helluva nice car to look at. Helluva nightmare to own.

[jalopnik.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 09:06PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Ah yes. Fridges by Lucas. The reason Brits drink their beer warm.
that you only have 3 more days in which you have to enjoy it vicariously. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login