Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
So, today there was a huge storm here in South Florida. There was a huge power surge that knocked out the power to my garage (had to flip the breaker). So, a few hours later, I go to start the Boxster, and the dash lights flash, the ac starts, the radio turns on, but the car won't turn over. The windows won't return to their full up position. I am wondering if this is a pure battery problem or another issue. I have had the PCM go a bit haywire at times, but I have never had a problem actually getting the car to turn over before now. Of course, it is a holiday weekend, so it will probably be Tuesday before I can get anything looked at.
Car was not plugged in to anything, and was driven last night.
... behind the driver's seat looking for any moisture in the carpet.
Sounds like a CLU issue.
I out of town for the weekend otherwise I would have tried to be of service sooner.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Check ...
decay - 8 years ago
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... behind the driver's seat looking for any moisture in the carpet.
Sounds like a CLU issue.
I out of town for the weekend otherwise I would have tried to be of service sooner.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

No moisture. Be glad you missed the afternoon storm down here. I would have preferred a tropical storm to that beast. At one point, I thought the house actually got hit.
Laz
Wiki_EMP

Well, all the electronics seemingly work, so that is some hope. With any luck, it is just the battery.
Not too many weeks ago the Boxster was running ok with just a tiny hint of a slow crank. Really it was so slight I thought it my imagination more than than real.

I parked the car and the next morning went to use the car and the battery was down enough the starter never even clicked. Just the dash lights came on.
MarcW
Not too many weeks ago the Boxster was running ok with just a tiny hint of a slow crank. Really it was so slight I thought it my imagination more than than real.

I parked the car and the next morning went to use the car and the battery was down enough the starter never even clicked. Just the dash lights came on.

It would certainly appear to be the battery. I finally got around to jump starting it today, and it cranked right up, and drove it for a bit. It is definitely time for a new battery, but is a big relief knowing that if it does not hold a charge til morning, that a simple jump will get it going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2015 07:49PM by decay. (view changes)
decay
MarcW

It would certainly appear to be the battery. I finally got around to jump starting it today, and it cranked right up, and drove it for a bit. It is definitely time for a new battery, but is a big relief knowing that if it does not hold a charge til morning, that a simple jump will get it going.

It is my opinion a jump to start a car, and this is ever so true for modern cars with all their electronics, is an emergency measure only and not to be used to work around a failing battery or other electrical system problem.

My advice is if the diagnosis is the battery is bad to replace the battery ASAP and leave the jump starting equipment on the shelf where it belongs.
MarcW
decay
MarcW

It is my opinion a jump to start a car, and this is ever so true for modern cars with all their electronics, is an emergency measure only and not to be used to work around a failing battery or other electrical system problem.

My advice is if the diagnosis is the battery is bad to replace the battery ASAP and leave the jump starting equipment on the shelf where it belongs.

Absolutely agree. It is getting replaced either today or tomorrow, and is only getting jumped when I leave. It has only been jumped once just to see if it could be. I have a Juke to drive around in the meantime, which I also love.
Was it an electrical storm?
Several years ago a lightening strike near a friends Audi destroyed the cars electronics. Dealer couldn't fix and the car was totaled. Hope this is not a similar case.

Ed B
I would get your electrical system checked out at the dealer...especially if you have had issues previously.

Your car will most of the time give you clues that there is something wrong..for example I noticed I was loosing coolant and a few weeks later my WP shaft broke. .most likely caused by a coolant leak out of the vent hole onto the shaft.

I would think your Boxster is still in the warranty period?

MIKELLIG
When it gets low enough the DME doesn't even tell the starter motor to turn.

Radio consumes very little power.

I'd try jump starting it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login