Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I may have complained, some time back, that my "S" was rather difficult to shift, especially when cold, and especially compared to my 60k mile base 986. note these are in fact different transmissions - porsche 911 tranny in the S and Audi "01" in the base.

Well, its been getting worse. One cold morning at home i thought i'd never get it into reverse (required). I finally pushed it down the driveway backward and dealt with it. A bit later, one cool morning at the hotel at WGI, R was unavailable - and thsi time i was parked head into the motel, downhill. I *finally* got it. But even when warm, some gears were a bit more difficult than I'd like.

I had the car in the shop for a windshield (route 80 rock off truck, grrrrrr), and they noticed it too. I gave the shop the ok to dig, and they found deteriorating cables and bushings. Wow, those are some expensive cables ($400), so i decided to plunk down another $70 for the Numeric racing cables - which are supposedly both sturdier and give better feel (solid metal bushings/connectors). We'll see. I do hope that many of the minor shifting issues can be traced to this - for all that money (install isn't free either) i hope to gain something other than the ability to find gears on cold mornings :-)

I continue to LOVE the way this thing drives with GT3 control arms and much more camber and caster up front. Alas, it is not legal for my AX car, running in stock (PCA) and Street (SCCA), so i won;t be doign the GT3s to that car until it no longer qualifies for S, based on ageing out.

Off for a lovely 1 hour country highway mountain (ok, hills) drive to some friends' for BBQ. The journey is sometimes half the fun.

G

ps: motor seems to be behaving itself. More on that when i feel like typing a tome.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
The piece right above his hand, which is sold as a unit.

It develops play over time, making the shifts more sloppy. It's not hard to move the lever but it's less crisp getting it into gear.
i recall that =wearing over time too. In fact it was popping off my red car at one time. somehow, i replaced just the end. where it pops on a ball joint.

Grant

Grant

I just replaced the fluid in my 2009 C2S and it stopped a common problem where it would jam and not go into first. Manual denotes changing at 120K miles but I changed at 86K miles and it just fixed the problem.

Another issue is the local dealer does not fill with spec fluid but uses the GT3 fluid (Delvac).... read more here:

[rennlist.com]

and read more here, in particular posts by Luxter and GTGears post #17 for great information:

[rennlist.com]

As I noted before, getting into 2nd when cold was an issue with the car when brand new... first winter. It appears this may be related to the fluid GL rating. Porsche on my C2S recommends GL 4.5 which is a compromise between GL 4 and GL 5. GL5 supposedly has better high temp properties but will make shifting difficult at low temps. "Performance" guys will use Delvac but then have cold shifting problems.

Something to think about.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I have both. But this has been developing over time. we shall see this afternoon when i pick it up!

One way or the other, i checked the fluid beginning of this season, and its a beautiful, clean, gold/green.

And full.

G

ps: you EVER coming to an autocross?

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login