Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Firstly,does the gasket have a sealing compound on it or should i use a light coat of Permatex Aviation sealent on either side.
Secondly,if i clamp the hose a few inches back entering the pump will that hold more fluid in and hopefully require less bleeding after with less fluid loss or
will the coolent just come out the pump after unbolting it.
Thirdly,i don,t own a special bleeding tool,will bleeding it the old fashioned way by opening the bleeder at the coolent bottle and revving the engine ect and
lett totally cool and redo after topping off a few times work.
Thx
[pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
This is a pic of the Turbo's hoses clamped off but I've seen Boxster hoses clamped the same way,.

IIRC there is a drain somewhere that you can drain the coolant out of the engine and capture that so you can reuse it if want, if you do not intend to replace the coolant.

My advice is unless the coolant is reasonably fresh, less than two years old (admittedly my definition of "fresh" given I like to change the coolant every 4 to 5 years) I'd just drain the coolant and replace it with fresh coolant.
Thx,I want to reuse any coolent thats removed,only pulling the one hose to pump,not changing thermostat.I take it the Gasket has no sealent on it.
Does the heater need to be run on high full heat while burping the system,doing it the manual way.ThxRead the 15 steps in Pedros help section but no mention off it.
do not often fail they have a finite service life. Most often the T-stat outlasts the water pump but I worry that the old T-stat won't last as long as the new pump.

Be sure you test the new and old T-stat in a pot of hot water on the stove to make sure the new T-stat opens at the temperature stamped on it somewhere. Be sure it fully opens. You have the old T-state in the hot water with the new one so you can observe them both. You want to make sure the new one works right.

Most (all?) techs do not do this. If they have to replace a new T-stat that proves to be bad out of the box someone else foots the bill. The DIY'er though is out the duplicate time and trouble and supplies.
Thx for the tips Marc,u obviously been down this road before! Glad the cars off the road in storage for winter here in Ont,so i can relax and do the job rite without rushing
it ,its not goin any were for at least 4 months!!
Purchased my new pump and gasket from a member on here,have not installed yet but the pump is a Porsche unit and bearing spins quiet and smooth with no play.
Im going to try clamping off the 2 hoses to the pump and thermostat and hopefully cut down on time required to bleed system.Mine is a 2006 S so it still has the
bleeder on the coolent bottle (07,s do not apparently so u need a special air remover) Can someone explain how this metal gasket seals with no sealent.I ve changed
metal head gaskets on 2 stroke snowmobiles before and they always have a bonding agent attached to the metal that once heated melts and cures to the aluminum on both sides.
Thx
great advice. And while you are at it, spin the NEW H2O pump and make sure it is smoother and quieter than the old one. in my last case, it was not.
Old went back in and is happy and secure to this day :-)

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
while I would not have possibly installed the new one had it proved to be show signs of being unsuitable I would not have reused the old one. I would have returned the rough new pump and ordered another.

BTW, that must have been some rough water pump. In both cases of the water pumps I've had to have replace the old pumps feel pretty darn good. In some ways they might feel *better* than a new pump as they turn easier. Less seal drag perhaps.

Unless the new pump had some pretty obvious problem out of the box chances are it was just fine.
There is a high proportion of early failures of pumps. I guess there are simply good ones and bad ones.

I general, i agree with your thinking. In practice i have learned to not trust that "new" always means "good"

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login