Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
So ... here I am contemplating a new Boxster ... the one with the 3.8 ... and one of my concerns is the distance from home to the dealer ... 500 miles via a major highway. Weather is expected to be dry with average ambient temp in the 40's F. Should I be concerned about driving that distance at the beginning of the break in period? Do you think I can vary the speed and engine revs sufficiently on a 8.5 hour drive home or should I ship the car? I still haven't committed to buy as the alternatives are to keep the '99 2.5 or wait for 2017's and go for a Euro delivery ... hmmm. Distant third is buy a discounted Boxster off the showroom floor locally but not sure why I would do that other than $'s saving. So ... any comments regarding break-in would be greatly appreciated.
1. accelerate lightly and smoothly, avoiding jerk ( the 4th derivative of position, BTW).
2. Shift between gears to vary engine rpm
3. Keep the rpms low initially (< 4k), and over time slowly raise them
4. be particularly careful until the motor has wormed up. Warm up does three things:
4a) eliminates rich condition of clold start
4b) allows the oil to warm andb circulate freely
4c) allows the parts to expand and fit together as intended (correct, they don't fit when cold, pistons are not even round when cold)

Variety is key - allerate a little, coast or brake a little. Shift between 5th and 6th. Maybe deviate from the highway and play on a back road.
Light acceleration is good ( and necessary to change rpms), but do it *smoothly*. If possible i really WOULD try to find an alternative for part of the drive - there must be back roads and access roads that you can use. Hey, is it terrible to have to drive a new Boxster a little extra. Exactly.

Every car i bought new and broke in myself has been perfect. Every car i bought used, not so much....

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Hi Grant,
OK ... great advice ... thank you very much!
Cheers,
John
I like to take secondary roads with a new car. It allows you to shift more frequently and vary your speeds as you drive in and out of towns. That's ideal for breaking in a new engine and transmission.

Taking the Interstate keeps your speed way too even.

I've followed the instructions in the manual. Keep it under 4200 rpm for the first 2000 miles. Then gradually raise the rpm.

My first Boxster used about 3/4 of a quart of oil before the first oil change while it was being broken in. After that, it never used any oil between changes. My new 981 has been about the same.

Let us know what you decide to get. ....and happy decision making. smileys with beer
... stay off the Interstate and enjoy the drive home.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Once warmed up the engine can be subjected to more aggressive acceleration as long as one avoids starting out at too low an RPM -- to avoid lugging -- and of course stay below the upper RPM limit. The more aggressive acceleration creates more pressure in the chambers and forces the rings out against the cylinder wall and thus helps the rings develop a better fit to the wall.

I would add that unless prohibited by the owners manual to change the oil at the end of "break-in" so the engine at least starts out with fresh oil when one transitions from break in style driving to more normal driving.
Although it may not have an observable effect, it couldn't hoit. I pretty much did that with mine: but happened to be closer to 3000 miles; oil change; did the big round the country trip, changed again when I got home at ≈ 12,500. Been doing 5k intervals, and will do the next one just short of 50k so any warranty items can be addressed, but will then hold off until 60k, and do 10k intervals from then on. Since about 14,000 miles the engine has been singing with a free, beautiful and mechanically complex voice.
Many years ago i was peaking to an old (well, young then) friend who was the regional tech manager for "great big German car company". He was very clear that they add break-in additives and that i should leave the oil in for the duration of the first change, or at least a couple 1000 miles. My point is that if so, it *might* hurt.

He indicated that with a healthy engine, any metal particles generated during break-in are far too small to be of any concern.

So, i leave well enough alone.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
the manual would prohibit against an early oil change.

I have not seen any evidence any additives are used. In rebuilding engines the only place I used any additive was a special lube supplied by the cam maker that I applied to the cam lobes and lifters to protect these at initial engine start.

Even when I worked with others -- my mechanic buddies -- and helped rebuild engines they did not use any general break in lube/additive. Like I said above they just used the special grease on the cam lobes lifters. Also, my auto mechanic buddies always changed the oil after a short break in time of running the engine on the driveway after initialing starting the engine.

As I have mentioned before, and even posted pics of before, the oil in my 2008 Cayman S's oil filter housing was filthy at just 750 miles. There was so much metal particles in the oil the oil had a metallic sheen to it. Besides the smaller metal stuff there were larger pieces of the sealant used to seal various parts of the engine. These pieces were rather large. If there is an oil pressure bypass value to avoid over pressuring the oil system at cold start this can route unfiltered oil through the engine. I would hate to think the trash that I found in my 2008 Cayman's oil filter and filter housing oil was being circulated.

My advise is to unless forbidden by the owners manual arrange for an early oil/filter change. The time of there being any "break-in" additive in the engine that is expected to remain in the oil is long past...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login