Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Front Michelin PA4 N:

Rear Michelin PA4 N:

As mentioned in the past, the tires took a beating first season out when I was in Alabama and it hit 85º. Also, I think Porsche's 32 psi all around spec is a bit high in any case, so the last couple years I've been running them at 30 to 31. Also, as previously mentioned, for experimentation, the next set will likely be the N-spec Continentals. And no, I'm not worried about mixing brands, especially considering the rears will be fresh and so the car ought not to be tail happy. When the fronts go, the new ones will be Contis, too.

It's so nice having the Goodyears on again. Just going around the block to reset the TPMS, I could tell the ride coarseness was gone, not that the Michelins are by any means uncomfortable.
and there are (finally) a couple encouraging TireRack reviews specifically of the N-spec PA4 on Porsches. No matter what, in the future I hope not to get caught out on an extended trip with unseasonably high temperatures. Perhaps Continental is developing another fitting N-spec snow for next winter, but their web site has nothing yet. (Hey, it's only April!)
For those who want/can fit 18s, Pirelli and Dunlop have N-spec offerings.The Dunlops appear to be better for snow. The smaller size option wasn't available back in 2012, and I won't go for a new winter wheel set. Besides, the difference in contact dimensions (mostly) and weight (to a smaller degree) isn't worth the trouble in my case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 11:32PM by Laz. (view changes)
In the "old" days with narrow tires, wear in center of the tread indicated the pressure was too high.
Not so with modern wide tires. They need higher pressures to force the sidewalls out and flatten the tread. Assuming alignment is correct in both cases.

Ed B
but as I followed that for at least the first year and maybe two, the center wore more anyway. I think there are suspension geometry factors, but can't imagine there's something off. I do have a dealer discount coupon for suspension adjustments that'll be used during the final in-warranty check-up.
Come to think of it, I was keeping the fronts lower than the rears much of time, meaning they were below Porsche spec, yet they show even wear. --- Ok, less loading on the front, therefore the tire contact patches are "seeing" a higher inflation, yet are wearing evenly. I'll try not to lose sleep over this between now and next winter!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 10:11AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login