Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
just took off the winter tires this morning and my torque wrench failed. I took the head apart and it was full of metal shaving. The teeth were really messed up. Seems strange.

Any recommendations for a good one? Any warnings for ones that i should stay away from?

thanks

edit to add: it's mainly for the wheel lug nuts so i'll be looking for a 1/2" one that can go to 162 lb/ft. i know that seems crazy but i checked it out and that's the torque spec from Ford

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2020 04:04PM by frogster. (view changes)
like engine internals or transmissions and what not, I can see little benefit to gain over a modest priced unit.

I have a Craftsman (2 actually) and they have been bullet proof for 20+ years.

If it is really just for wheel bolts, harbor freight might be enough. I suspect 3 or 4 pounds off on a wheel bolt is less of an issue than something truly precision.
Get a Harbor Freight wrench.
They're good, but never use a torque wrench to remove/loosen a nut or bolt, just to tighten.
Happy Wrenching,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
JMstamford,ct
like engine internals or transmissions and what not, I can see little benefit to gain over a modest priced unit.

I have a Craftsman (2 actually) and they have been bullet proof for 20+ years.

If it is really just for wheel bolts, harbor freight might be enough. I suspect 3 or 4 pounds off on a wheel bolt is less of an issue than something truly precision.

Pedro (Odessa, FL)
Get a Harbor Freight wrench.
They're good, but never use a torque wrench to remove/loosen a nut or bolt, just to tighten.

thanks guys. Modest priced is fine. I just don't want junk nor do i need high-end. Craftsman would be perfect but i don't think they have that available here anymore since all the sears stores closed.

harbor freight would be okay too but the shipping and brokerage fees to canada is far too much in relation to the price of the tool.

there's a brand called Tekton on Amazon.ca. it's not too expensive and i've seen it discussed on a few forums. some people say it's overpriced. have any of you heard of it?

and thanks pedro. i know to not loosen nuts and bolts with a torque wrench. i have a breaker bar for that task.

--
I have a couple of their torque wrenches and love them. The design is such that you can set the torque and leave it, unlike many of the designs where you're supposed to loosen the spring after usage.

I had an electronic torque wrench for a while but the PI ones are better in pretty much every way. They're low profile, very accurate, easy to set, easy to read, and last a long time.

Word has it, the Snap-On torque wrenches are actually made by Precision Instruments, at many times the cost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2020 09:06PM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
those seem to be on the upper end of prices for torque wrenches. overkill for my application.

thanks though!

--
my budget is flexible. my philosophy isn't. smiling smiley

i'll spend what i need to spend in order to satisfy my requirements. if that's really beyond my means, then i just won't buy anything.

my requirements are:
- the tools works well. in this case that it is accurate and easy to use
- that it is durable (i hate buying junk that doesn't last)

i am swayed by stuff that looks and feels good.

i did some searching and there's a store here that's considered to be a canadian version of harbor freight. but their products seem a bit on the cheap junk side. i'd prefer to spend a little bit more and get something decent from a reputable brand that has a proper support structure behind them. i won't buy some cheapo no-name product that breaks or just doesn't perform after a few uses.

that's why i was wondering if anyone was familiar with Tekton. they seem to be a known brand. their 50-250 lb/ft is around CAD 80 which is somewhere around USD 55 at today's exchange rate.

--
Gotcha
Boxsterra - 4 years ago
I do like Tekton's tools in general. I haven't tried their torque wrench. I use torque wrenches a lot and over time they would all eventually fail in one way or another. I got the PI ones for around $100 apiece.
Re: Gotcha
frogster - 4 years ago
Boxsterra
I do like Tekton's tools in general. I haven't tried their torque wrench. I use torque wrenches a lot and over time they would all eventually fail in one way or another. I got the PI ones for around $100 apiece.

my old one lasted over 20 years so i'm not heartbroken.

the PI ones that i found here were well over CAD 200 and the Tekton around CAD 80. I'll keep looking around for what's best for my needs.

thanks again!

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login