Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Took my 1999 boxster out for a run today and noticed a few things that were concerning. First, there is now a bit of a rattle when I do a cold start- goes away in a few seconds. The temp gage has been running right on the 0 of the 180. Today I smelled coolant when I shut the car off. Coolant level is fine and no leak that I can see- nothing on the ground overnight.

I have been getting a check engine light- codes: P1276, P0159, P1121, P0160, P1117. Car has a fabspeed supercup exhaust and headers, so I do get O2 codes from time to time, but this time I'm getting throttle position code as well. Codes seem to pop up when

Just want to be ahead if there is something going on any thoughts are appreciated.
Sorry just noticed my sentence was cut off-

Codes seem to pop up after spirited driving (revving to 6k before shifting) and sometimes after bouncing between 800-1k at idle.
The internet is your friend... [boxstertips.com]

They all look to be O2 sensor codes. I assume you have Fabspeed sport cats, so consider replacing O2 sensors per the diagnostic. Considering the age of the car you may also want to replace the MAF which is considered a wear item and will cause wonky issues. While ur in there I'd strongly recommend the coolant tank and AOS if they are original (you don't mention mileage), which are all known age-related failure points on a 23 year old car. Cheap maintenance IMHO. Also plugs and coil packs, and...

Not sure about the cold-start rattle... they all do that until the oil pressure comes up (kinda). Ask your mechanic...
jlegelis
The internet is your friend... [boxstertips.com]

They all look to be O2 sensor codes. I assume you have Fabspeed sport cats, so consider replacing O2 sensors per the diagnostic. Considering the age of the car you may also want to replace the MAF which is considered a wear item and will cause wonky issues. While ur in there I'd strongly recommend the coolant tank and AOS if they are original (you don't mention mileage), which are all known age-related failure points on a 23 year old car. Cheap maintenance IMHO. Also plugs and coil packs, and...

Not sure about the cold-start rattle... they all do that until the oil pressure comes up (kinda). Ask your mechanic...

Thank you for the response and for the link to the codes. I do not have catalytic converters on my exhaust (previous owner installed the FabSpeed) this was confirmed by my mechanic. Maybe this is why it is throwing O2 sensor codes?

I just turned 56k on the odometer

I don’t have record of the coolant tank having been replaced if I am going to get the water pump and thermostat replaced would it make sense to do that as well since the coolant will be drained anyway?

MAF and AOS no record of being replaced I will put that on the list.

Spark Plugs were changed at 48k miles in 2019, but not the coil packs.
No cats? Yeah you can expect CELs for all time regardless of the condition of the O2 sensors...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login